• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tip Curtis Bucks Cty, Lancaster (or other patterns) Rifle photos?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes....Bucks County LRs have a "charm for many reasons and the buttstock design not only looks good but is very comfortable to shoot even w/ larger cals.

The above pics are of 3 different BC LRs and thanks for the kind words. Below is a Lancaster for comparison.....Fred

h6gC7Hk.jpg

Flehto, thank you for those photos. Your work is marvelous and it's a joy to look at those rifles.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I know what basically constitutes a Lancaster or Bucks Co. rifle. What I have been looking for is specifically photos of Tip's work.

I came up with a solution: I went to Tip's shop. I had another engagement in Nashville and dragged my family up to his shop to indulge me while I ran around like a kid in a candy shop. I barely made it out with bank account and marriage intact.

I was focusing on small bores because I'd already bought a large bore hunting rifle, and as a result I forgot to take a Bucks Co. pattern shot because he had no Bucks rifles in small bores.

However, here are a few of his many patterns for reference:

Tip called these (l-r) a John Brooks pattern, a Southern pattern, and a North Carolina pattern:

P1010446.jpg

The Brooks rifle, l&r:

The Southern rifle, l&r:

Lancaster: (This one is coming to stay at my house)

The pistol is interesting. Is there still a serial number on the frame of that 1911, or, was it an entirely new frame?

It looks like a 1911-ish style of frame. But looking at a high-res image, it appears to have been machined from a slab\block of steel. The trigger is also 1911-ish.

I can only think the trigger had some sort of triangle end to push up the sear bar when fired. Perhaps a small return spring to bring it back.

FWIW

If you compare closely, the pistol frame has many/most of the details that are on a stock 1911 frame, the grip is definitely a 1911 grip, all the way down to the cutout for the magazine release. On the frame, the flat behind the trigger is also 1911 patterned. The finger relief is a perfect match. I would bet a paycheck on the trigger being a 1911 solid shoe with a bow behind it. It may be a machined part for this particular pistol, but the pattern is 1911 down to many details. I know a welder or two that could take a steel frame and add the additional material to the frame. It would be a lot of work, but possible by a skilled welder. It is an interesting piece, do we know what caliber it is?

The thing being discussed is a modern flintlock abortion which has no place on this forum.

For that reason, I deleted the picture from the post.

This isn't the first time that, or a similar pistol photo has been posted and as I recall, it too was removed.

Zonie said:
The thing being discussed is a modern flintlock abortion which has no place on this forum.

Fair enough.

I thought it would be amusing to users of the forum both as a gimmick and curiosity and because it was done for fun by a well-established contributor to traditional muzzleloading. However, I understand why it doesn't fit and won't do it again.

I am late to the party but here are a couple of shots of my Tip Curtis Lancaster rifle. It is a .54 caliber with a 38" octagon to round barrel (Colerain I believe). This particular one has a pretty fancy maple stock. I was looking for a straightforward Lancaster rifle kind of representative of a western fur trade era trade rifle. The barrel and grade of wood don't quite fit the bill but the rifle called to me when I picked it up in Tip's shop. So far it has performed reliably and shoots accurate. I am pleased with it. Sorry for the gratuitous self portrait but it was the best photo I had of the overall rifle. IMG_2421 by Barry Fowlie, on Flickr
IMG_0933 by Barry Fowlie, on Flickr

Here's my Tip Curtis gun (and my first muzzleloader!) - the Lancaster shown above, in .32 with a 36" straight Green Mtn barrel, now at my place and in more detail:

Here's a Tip Curtis .36 cal Virigina rifle. I used in on a Pennsylvania Fall turkey hunt with a .310" round ball a couple of years back and it did quite well.

Tip%20Curtis%20.36%20cal%20flintlock%20-%20wide%20view%202_zpswfugqzti.jpg

Pennsylvania%20Fall%20Tukey%20Hunt%20-%205%20Nov%202106%20-%20bird%20down%20-%20resized_zpshujna7qd.jpg

I've been on the phone with Tip Curtis who, as you may know, doesn't have a website and doesn't send photos of his guns. He has some Lancasters and Bucks county guns that would fit my requirements, and those two styles of longrifle are very attractive to me. Can anyone share photos of theirs or link to others who've posted these? I know generically what's commonly associated with a Lancaster or Bucks County pattern, but I'd like to see his specifically.

While we're at it, any photos illustrating his many patterns of rifle and fowler would be welcome. Thanks!
Lock and stock of a let I built from one of Tip's kits a few years ago.

Attachments

• Flint lock lock and stock.jpg
    Flint lock lock and stock.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 165

This isn't the first time that, or a similar pistol photo has been posted and as I recall, it too was removed.

Man , I looked and looked and couldn't see it. I am relieved to know it was removed as I thought I was getting blinder than I am !

Back