Tingle copy.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

hawkeye2

58 Cal.
Reaction score
The load is whatever works for you. 3f will perform best. Anything over 30 grains is wasting powder. Your most accurate load will probably be in the 18 to 22 grain range. If the bore is good it should be a fantastic shooter. I picked one up a couple of years ago and haven't shot it yet but I have high expectations.

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
I have one too. I use a 0.433 or 0.437 ball in my favorite patch material, drill cloth and my water soluble oil and water lubricant. Another member of my gun club uses one and it is very accurate.

Barry Strickland

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If I recall correctly I used a .440 ball and Indian Head cotton which miked about .014" and 20 gr. 3fg. That was a long time ago. It was a good shooter.

Reaction score
These are modern guns based on nothing historical, but are interesting and good shooters.

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. It's an in-line with very little if anything that is historical about it.

I suppose someone back in the day might have had a custom gun builder make a pistol that used the grips off of a Colt cap & ball revolver to make something like this gun but if they did, I've never heard of the pistol being discovered.

Reaction score
What’s the story on these Tingles?

I assume they were made for NMLRA pistol competition? Are the Tingles well made, accurate guns? Seems Armi San Marco made them too?

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
The Tingles were a well made series of pistols and traditional rifles made in the US. Initial Tingles were 40 caliber with a removable barrel to exchange a larger gauge smoothbore barrel. The pistol line was sold to Armi San Marco and they made the 44 caliber (0.433" or 0.437" ball) version. Very accurate. Mine was until the sights loosened and I haven't got the sights properly adjusted. Mine is stamped Palmetto.

The design of the Tingle includes a hammer stop so the hammer stops at the top of the cone and allows for dry fire practice. There is just enough clearance for the hammer to strike the cap but not hit the cone. My properly set up Tingle would only fire #11 magnum caps but would not fire #11s.

Last edited:

gemihur

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Apparently a popular enough design for Italian manufacturers to bootleg copies.
Mine is stamped "Hopkins & Allen" and I know that's BS
But she's a great shooter after I adjusted the design of the rear sight blade a bit
Prospector.JPG

I believe it's referred to as a 'Prospector' because of the etched designs on the receiver
A bear descending a rock bluff over a guy panning for gold
And a wagon train on the opposite side
Very nifty indeed

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I purchased mine from Dixons back in 1990 used at a good price 🙂 . It shoots a .433" ball well if I do my part. I now find it a bit heavy for me to hold steady as I now have carpal tunnel😞.