• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tinderbox ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going to have a new tinderbox. i can buy them in a few differnt shapes and sizes from various suppliers, thats easy. and cheap.
I have used mr google to see what originals were like which resulted in all sorts of stuff, leather, wood, brass, iron, silver ,gold all in various shapes and sizes.
I have read the previous threads on Altoids tins and others that have been preened and antiqued.seams like an easy way out.
So my tiny brain says make your own and find something original to copy.
Now, eliminating the leather and wooden style because of flammability, this leaves some sort of sheatmetal.
Has anyone here hand made their own from scratch? if so id like to see a pitcher of it.

i thought i would try to make a copper container. i kept it simple so i didnt waist too much material if i failed. i made it round with a soldered on bottom. i cut the copper circles and pressed it through a steal ring. then did some hammering to finish the lips. then soldered the 1"strip to the bottom. fitted the lid so it snaps on and here it is.
To make an oval one i need to make the dies which is a bit more work and not for today.

Attachments

• IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3848.JPG
    IMG_3848.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3846.jpg
    IMG_3846.jpg