Quantcast

tin foil

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The only time I shot as a militia man in a military event we were not allowed to ram. I thought this was typical just to avoid some one shooting a ramrod at the ‘enemy’.

FlinterNick

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The only time I shot as a militia man in a military event we were not allowed to ram. I thought this was typical just to avoid some one shooting a ramrod at the ‘enemy’.
We rammed at ours, we aimed lightly higher though.

Snapper Petta

32 Cal
Reaction score
It's been a while since I took the field in an event (I'm a sutler now to some degree) but in all the events I was in we just poured the powder down the barrel without the cartridge paper. Some guys would tamp down the butt of their musket to "seat" the powder but that was about it. In some places we could toss the paper cartridge aside and in other locations we were asked to stuff them back in a pocket or bag so as not to litter the battle field. Regardless of where I was though, we were never to take out our ramrods and tamp the powder down in the barrel.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.
Reaction score
In the mock battles I participate in, nothing goes in the barrel after safety checks but powder. No firing closer than 50 yards and all barrels elevated. Even the hot cases from powder can be a projectile if too close. At the commanders' meeting before the battle scenario all distances are defined and also the areas and distances muskets are to be fired.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just wonder what my old man would have said if he was to have know reenactors where shooting at each other (blanks or not) for fun? there would have been a beating if I gun barrel, empty or not , was in the direction of any human.
I have no opinion on reenacting that was just reminiscing .

Snapper Petta

32 Cal
Reaction score
old ugly - I understand your point. As much as I enjoy the history of all the locations I've been to, I started to feel uncomfortable with the idea of "shooting" at other folks. While there were other factors involved, eventually that idea was part of what led me to adjusting my persona to a fur trader or post trader depending on the site.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Sorry for the thread drift...

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t point your gun at any thing your not going to shoot. I heard that growing up. However I also learned to practice follow through by ‘dry fireing’at a target taped on my wall.
The boys that run a battle go over lots of safety. I would suspect there are more range accidents then battle field reinactment accidents.
We need go to rules for safety. We also need common sense.
I would much-rather be A Brit or a reb in a reinactor battle then in a shield wall at a Viking living history event.Ouch