• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Time With the Cherokee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thompson Center .32 Cherokee.jpg

Over the weekend time was spent sighting in the TC Cherokee I put together from a kit back in the Spring of 87. I took quite a number of squirrels with that rifle way back, but it has been a safe queen for way too long. The oldest and I are considering an early squirrel excursion and finding a good load is the reason I pulled it out.

25 Yds Target with Details.jpg

After the initial sight in I pointed it at this used target on the board to see how close I could place 3 shots off the bench with my nearly 58 year old eyes. Figured most squirrels I used to shoot were about this range max with this open sighted rifle. Shots 2 and 3 are 7/8" center to center. I suspect it could group tighter with more practice.

12 Yards Target 2 Shots.jpg

Recalling how many times I snuck up on the little rats in days gone by, and how many times they would run down the tree limb close to give a good scolding I thought it might be good to know where these little balls hit at about half that distance. Thus, this 12 yard target was utilized for my further knowledge. I may be able to knock a few out of the trees again with this fun little rig.

It looks like it shoots! It's fun to pull an old rifle out of retirement. I have a 32 I built in 1976 that I used to hunt rabbits. I used the same load as you are using except I used a .319 ball out of a Lee mold. It loaded tight but was accurate. Fast forward to last year and there was a fellow at the local range with a chronograph when I happened to be there with my 32. The load was doing around 1820 fps. No wonder it blew up the rabbits if I didn't make a head shot!

IMG_3886.JPG

View attachment 140142
Over the weekend time was spent sighting in the TC Cherokee I put together from a kit back in the Spring of 87. I took quite a number of squirrels with that rifle way back, but it has been a safe queen for way too long. The oldest and I are considering an early squirrel excursion and finding a good load is the reason I pulled it out.

View attachment 140143
After the initial sight in I pointed it at this used target on the board to see how close I could place 3 shots off the bench with my nearly 58 year old eyes. Figured most squirrels I used to shoot were about this range max with this open sighted rifle. Shots 2 and 3 are 7/8" center to center. I suspect it could group tighter with more practice.

View attachment 140144
Recalling how many times I snuck up on the little rats in days gone by, and how many times they would run down the tree limb close to give a good scolding I thought it might be good to know where these little balls hit at about half that distance. Thus, this 12 yard target was utilized for my further knowledge. I may be able to knock a few out of the trees again with this fun little rig.
I love my Cherokee, the 32 is the perfect round squirrel (our spring squirrel season just started so we'll be after them soon) I've found 15 grains of goex FFFG is perfect for the 1:30 twist of the rifling.just found a source for buckshot that works as good as the balls I've brought or poured.

My original PRB load was TC's starting book load of 30 grains. Upon reading other's loads since I've found out the 20 grain FFFg charge is perfectly sufficient and the target confirms it is accurate, too. I tried 10 grains but that didn't respond well. Even 20 grains is a sharp, loud crack. These aren't suppressed loads by any means.

Crisco Kid, beautiful rifle. Thanks for sharing your chony results, also. Some day I'll need to do the same, for my curiosity if anything else. Yes, I try for headshots with the .32. At least I did 35 years ago. Will give that a try next time I take it afield and hope to have success.

As a younger man I lusted after the .45 barrel for this rifle, but with hammer blow back using the 108 grain .32 maxiballs I thought using a stiff charge with the .45 might not be the best thing to do, so I gravitated toward the .50 T/C Renegade instead.

I use 15 grains Goex, a .315 Hornady swaged ball and a .010 Mink oil lubed patch in my 32 Seneca and Cherokee. I only take head shots at Squirrels and even though I miss some I always have enough squirrels to meet my needs. Good luck with your hunt and enjoy that rifle.

I have a 45 Cherokee that I've never shot. 2 Seneca's and have shot both with target loads. Never had any hammer blow back, or cheek slap. I get the slap from my 62sb renegade. Don't even like to shoot it.

Seneca is a great gun to carry, although only done woods walk competitions with it. Always wanted at least a 50cal for deer.

I have a 45 Cherokee that I've never shot. 2 Seneca's and have shot both with target loads. Never had any hammer blow back, or cheek slap. I get the slap from my 62sb renegade. Don't even like to shoot it.

Seneca is a great gun to carry, although only done woods walk competitions with it. Always wanted at least a 50cal for deer.
I've got a ,45 Cherokee also, never noticed any issues when shooting. Wish they had done a ,36 caliber in the Cherokee.

TC missed the boat by not producing the Cherokee and/or the Seneca in a 40cal. I probly wouldn't hunt deer with a 40, but anything smaller , yes. And it's easy on the shoulder as well as powder.
Wonder if Green MTN every made a drop in replacement barrel ?

I was never able to take a Cherokee home with me but did get such a fine deal on a new Traditions Crockett that I ended up taking squirrels and generally shot the wheels off it for years. Accuracy was nothing short of sensational with sub 1" groups at 40 + yards. Enjoy that little rifle and you won't regret it.

I stumbled on the Cherokee at a Vt gun store. Hard to pass up since it was the first I had seen in person. Probly would have bought it as a 32 as well. That same year, I was offered a flint poor boy in 32. Couldn't resist that either.

TC made some great guns, wish they were still around.

I've got a ,45 Cherokee also, never noticed any issues when shooting. Wish they had done a ,36 caliber in the Cherokee.
They did make the Cherokee in 36 caliber. I had one for my youngest boy. I sold it to a friend for his daughter she shot it for one year and then went to live with her mother. .When I tried to buy it back for my grandson he said he would not sell it since it was her gun.

I picked up a TC in 36 when I was in Yuma, Az couple months ago that doesn't say Seneca or Cherokee on it I'll have to post a picture when I get home tomorrow it's a pretty clean little rifle and is fun to shoot with 25gr goex fff and a Hornady RB squirrel head accurate at 25 yards pretty good for me, that's a good looking Cherokee you have the buddy.

Attachments

• 20220316_110624.jpg
    20220316_110624.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220316_110633.jpg
    20220316_110633.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220316_110655.jpg
    20220316_110655.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 21
Back