• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tiller material for handgonne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question about the type of wood for a tiller...for a recent handgonne project, I bought a length of maple from a lumber yard that was made for a stair hand rail...an 11 foot piece (2 tillers worth) cost almost $40. I was hesitant to use a pine hanger bar from a closet, as the wood seems soft and the grain is not very tight and inconsistant.

How many of you out there have used pine? Has anyone had a tiller shatter or crack?

:v

:bow: If you want to use a "closet bar" some Home Dopeys sell maple ones as well, however that being said---you aren't going to pole vault with the tiller and what could you possibly shoot that would be destroyed by the recoil of the gonne? The recoil is absorbed by your two hands and couldn't possibly be damaged by the gonne going "bang." So IMHO go get a "closet bar", make your tiller and enjoy. :hatsoff:

Cowhornboy,
I just bought some one inch dowel at the local hardware/lawn/garden store. It looked a little like ramon wood. Now my gonne weighs almost ten pounds so recoil as perceived in the hands is minimal, even with heavy loads like 80 grains of 2fg in my .593 bore.
God bless.
volatpluvia

coehornboy said:
I have a question about the type of wood for a tiller...for a recent handgonne project, I bought a length of maple from a lumber yard that was made for a stair hand rail...an 11 foot piece (2 tillers worth) cost almost $40. I was hesitant to use a pine hanger bar from a closet, as the wood seems soft and the grain is not very tight and inconsistant.

How many of you out there have used pine? Has anyone had a tiller shatter or crack?

:v

The lightest wood that I am comfortable using is Ash or Birch. Your length of maple, 11 feet, is enough for 3 tillers actually. I'm not fond of the thought of pine closet pole, as material for tillers.

CP

Back