• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tiger Striped Brown Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack.dyer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello Folks! My first post here and I was wondering if any of you could help me with browning a barrel? My neighbor helped me build a Kentucky rifle when I was 15 and I followed his guidance since he had built a Hawken styled rifle. When he browned the barrel his came out looking like an old Damascus twist or tiger striped barrel. I replicated everything he did but mine came out an even rich brown color. We both followed the directions so I'm not sure what went wrong but I have been wanting to duplicate it on one of my rifles just because it was so unique. Have any of you ever experienced this condition before? Thanks in advance and I have searched through the forums for the last week but didn't stumble across anything.

A long time ago, I striped a barrel. First I wrapped kite string around the barrel like a candy stripe. It was fairly random, varying from close to not so close, and often touching. I painted the string with cold bluing several times and let it sit.

After removing the string, I rubbed out the barrel. Next I painted browning solution onto the barrel, following the directions on the bottle. I also used a propane torch to heat the barrel so the browning would cure. In between coats of browning, I rubbed back the barrel using an old piece of denim cut from the leg of blue jeans. Then I used a thin artist’s paint brush to paint on more stripes in various places with the cold bluing. More browning on top of that, and blue stripes as needed until the desired effect is accomplished.

I think I finished off the barrel with numerous coats of engine oil and Rig grease and then heated again with the torch. That was done forty years ago and has held up well. It has even fooled range officers/ experts. I never told them...

It isn’t Damascus, but it I think it is interesting and looks good. :cool:

Thanks DOUBLEDUECE1! I thought of trying that string idea to form the "pattern" but was not sure how that would work without trying it out. I know this would not look like an old original rifle but it was one way I thought of to add my own touch to the rifles I build. I don't want to copy what someone else has built, I just want mine to look a little different than any one with the same style rifle. I considered using gauze (thin, narrow) so it would be easier to wrap but I think that would be to uniform in size and not really tiger striped per se. I guess I'm going to have to grab some metal and do a little experimentin' to see if I can find a simple method.

Thanks DOUBLEDUECE1! I thought of trying that string idea to form the "pattern" but was not sure how that would work without trying it out. I know this would not look like an old original rifle but it was one way I thought of to add my own touch to the rifles I build. I don't want to copy what someone else has built, I just want mine to look a little different than any one with the same style rifle. I considered using gauze (thin, narrow) so it would be easier to wrap but I think that would be to uniform in size and not really tiger striped per se. I guess I'm going to have to grab some metal and do a little experimentin' to see if I can find a simple method.
Hi,
I have not had any luck in getting a false Damascus stain pattern on any of my gun barrels, but I have etched a Damascus pattern on the barrels with a cotton thread ( fine thread ) soaked in nitric acid, then wrapped ( barber pole pattern ) around the full length of the barrel, then I wrap the barrel with plastic wrap ( Saran Wrap ) I leave the barrel for three days. I have not had any luck in wrapping with multiple threads as they float all over the place.
After removing the plastic wrap and the nitric acid soaked thread ( use plastic gloves or you will burn and stain your fingers)
I then lightly sand paper ( 220 metal sand paper ) the barrel. I use a wood backer on the sand paper so as to NOT over paper.
All you want is a trace of the spiral wrap. I do this several times to get the Damascus pattern.
Then brown as you would normally.
When doing this process, it is better to do it prior to installing your sights as they will interfere with your wrap.
To start, I wrap the tang with plastic wrap, then pass the thread through the tang screw hole, and tie it off, to hold the acid thread in place.
I also put a wood dowel in the barrel to tie the thread of at the muzzle.
It really gives you a deceivingly Damascus pattern.
Good luck!
Fred

Last edited:
Back