• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tiger Stripe Maple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watsmt

RAW Custom Knives
Reaction score
I’m looking at kits but can’t seem to find one that specifies the stock beyond a generic “hardwood” description. Who sells a kit with tiger stripe maple stock, or is this something I have to order outside of a kit build?

What "kit" are you looking at?? They have come a long way, with Jim Chambers and Kibler, these are much better than what we had in the '70s and '80s...Now, back when T/C was in production, they also had a "kit" but the quality was nothing like the kits Chambers and Kibler now have...

What "kit" are you looking at?? They have come a long way, with Jim Chambers and Kibler, these are much better than what we had in the '70s and '80s...Now, back when T/C was in production, they also had a "kit" but the quality was nothing like the kits Chambers and Kibler now have...
I’m clicking on any link I come across doing searches. I don’t know anything about who is supposed to be better or anything like that, just trying to start by finding one that offers tiger or curly maple.

Generic kits like Traditions only offer their stock hardwood which I think is birch, I could be wrong. All the period correct kit makers offer anything you can imagine depending on how much you want to spend.

One thing to remember is kits like Chambers and Pecatonica are parts kits that take some experience to put together and perhaps 100+ of work.

The Kibler SMR and Colonial kits are much easier but you still have to do some chisel work to fit the parts, think 15 hours and a lot of video watching if you have no experience. the Kibler Woods Runner kit is a slap together kit with all the parts fitting perfectly, you just have to sand the stock and apply a finish to the stock and barrel.

There are aftermarket stocks for the generic kit guns, if you bought one you would have a third more in your gun than it is worth finished.

Most kit makers other than the mass produced ones like Traditions and Pedersoli offer the option to upgrade the wood. I just finished my Kibler Colonial and had him upgrade the stock to extra fancy maple.

tigerstripe.jpg

Kibler, Chambers, TVM, all offer premium figured wood for their kits. I've not built a Kibler but the word is Jim Kibler is very generous with the amount of figure that goes out the door.

Back