• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

thundermugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekforge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
any one out there have some the can post some pictures of? i am about to buy some 2.5" dia. 1018 to turn one and want to get some ideas.

Here's my Bucket Of Thunder Thunder Mug
close to 70 lbs 1.750 bore 12" high by 5" dia Uses.s 3500 grains of powder You Tube video But the video is at 1,250 grains. If you need some designs check out the pics at my website at ScaleArtillery.com

522908_4143881480703_1481225764_n.jpg

[youtube]http://youtu.be/YTJ46mk9RbE[/youtube]

Video

Last edited by a moderator:
I better not find any surprises in my thundermug! :nono: :haha:

Still trying to decide what I want mine to look like so many different kinds and not enough money :(

Here is a picture from an old South Bend Ordinance a/k/a Barney's Cannons catalog. He sold the big one in 1998 for $376.00 the small for $246.00. The small was also offered in aluminum as a drinking stein.
Edit: the drinking version had an appropriately sized bore.

thundermugs.jpg
[/img]

That's good to know! Lifting a drinking mug like that would certainly build muscles. :shocked2: Hopefully, there's no fuse hole in the bottom of the drinking mug.

Here is mine. I made her in Aug. of 2011 ,
"Heaven Shaker" is her name.

In this pic I am finishing the wax positive welding the handle on and filling the seams.

CIMG6997-1_zpscd10f49c.jpg

This is her in bronze and semi finished.

thundermug016-1_zps026b0f1d.jpg

And a cold frosty beverage to end the day on a good note !
thundermug017-1_zps3dc6678d.jpg

80 lbs unfinished I have milled off 2" from the base and enlarged the bore to 1.5"

400-500 grains and "cover yer ears darlin" :grin:

Gary

Rocklock, that is really neat.
Do you have any pictures of the bronze pour?
Is that a fuse vent on the side or more like a flash pan?
We're going to need a video of it with the 500 grains kaboom.

Sorry no pics of the pour. I do have some video ,I'll see if I can find them .

Yes the little stem is the touch hole. I thinks she's down to @60 lbs still a BEAST

Gary

Here we go , the noise is very strange it just sort of whips the air into submission :grin: No projectile or wadding at all .

Yes it sideways ,I dont know why .

That's great. It jumped off the ground.. I like the smoke ring too.

Did you pour it yourself or have a foundry do it?

unfortunately mine probably wont look that good or be that big :( i am going to make mine out of some 2.25 or 2.50 1018 but i hope it will make a good bang

PatrickH ,it did jump off of the ground !And made a nasty sound thru the air !

freakforge ,you are a very young man with everything ahead of you. :bow:
Don't say "I'll never do/have this or that" if you do you've already cut out half of your options.
I dont mean to sound pretcher like ,but don't sell yourself short you have valid interests in history ,thats not too usual these days. Which means you will stand out .

Interests beyond your years ...for sure :wink: .

Any thunder mug that is well made and 1" or more in bore size will set off car alarms in the neighbor hood around the block!

Ask me how I know!

Just make sure you still have the fingers and hands to do this at age 70

Gary

Latest posts

Back