• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

thunder mug on Pawn stars

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their firearms expert said it was an original and not a replica...
The hangfire "Surprise" kaboom was fun to watch when they test fired it... :grin:

25 years ago, in southern Lancaster County, PA I knew a fellow with a little back yard foundry. I did get one of his medium size bronze cannon barrels. Wish I would have purchased a thunder mug. He was only getting $35.00 a piece for the bronze, $50 for the iron.

His were a bit larger than the ones on the show. about 4 inches round just above the large base, 12 inches tall and 3 inches diameter at the top. 3/4 inch bores. He even supplied a wad punch.

A thunder mug would be a great New Years noise maker. I wouldn't spend $350 on it as a noisemaker, but there certainly is an appeal to them.

Several years ago both of my daughters made black powder as a science project for school (they made the powder with different types of charcoal). To test the strength of the powder, I helped the eldest one make this "thunder mug". Actually, it had a bore the size of a golf ball and they would use a stop watch to measure the time of flight of the ball to compare the strength of various powder formulations. The mortar was machined from a piece of 4 inch brass round stock and took about two hours to make on the lathe.
KatieGunPowderProject8.jpg

AndreaGunPowder13.jpg

Mule Brain said:
I watched the same show. That thunder mug looked authentic to my untrained eyes. It seems them pawnbrokers will fire anything no matter what the age!

Great show!

Well, if you'll notice, Rick and Corey always make Chumley do the shootin' They and The Old Man figger he's the most expendable!

There's one for sale on fleabay right now for around $60. I think it has a one inch bore. just type in the search since I prefer not to advertise it and I'm not the one selling it.

Steve

Do they normally just load powder in them or do they also use a wad?

If so how does the wad hold pressure or is it not like the typical muzzleloading wad I am thinking of?

I am a newbie on the forum, first post.

oops, I replied instead of adding topic

THe simplest way to explain it is the card wad works like a champagne cork.

And reply is the right button to push.

what is the wad made of? just a piece of cloth like the typical wad or multi-layered?

I am considering getting some steel and building one.

i use wads puched out of thick leather and either wet them or oil them. i have cannons from 45 cal up to 1.5 inch. my 75 cal just uses fibre 10 ga wads

A piece of stiff of card board or milk carton will work.

If you use oiled leather make sure a dry wad goes between powder and oily wad. Quite frankly I have never heard of using oily leather for a wad in a cannon before. Its sure not needed.

When I shoot that cannon, the wad isn't on the poder long enough to soak into the powder. It is just barely wet or oiled to aid in seating it and to keep the fouling soft.

I did once take a branch out of a neighbor's tree on the fourth of July with a 1/2 inch thick leather wad.

Since part of the drill for shooting a cannon is to run a wet swab down the bore then wipe it dry, keeping fouling soft isn't a issue.

davec2 said:
Several years ago both of my daughters made black powder as a science project for school (they made the powder with different types of charcoal). To test the strength of the powder, I helped the eldest one make this "thunder mug". Actually, it had a bore the size of a golf ball and they would use a stop watch to measure the time of flight of the ball to compare the strength of various powder formulations. The mortar was machined from a piece of 4 inch brass round stock and took about two hours to make on the lathe.
KatieGunPowderProject8.jpg

Great looking piece. I can see a lot of love went into the making. Hopefully it has a place of respect on the mantle or desk and not lost to the depths of the hall closet.
cp.gif

Back