• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thunder box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The crossbar at the top of the ashtray clearly is a handle, as seen in the pic of the nicely fitted indoor example. That and looking closely at one of the early pics, which shows a continuation of that handle down and around the bottom of the brass bowl, leaves me with the nauseating idea that it is a tool for scraping the bowl clean. I pray I'm wrong.

That's a lot of weight, when maybe it should be simply put away closed when done. Maybe if the box served also as camp furniture....but a dedicated thunder-box as a conversation piece in camp ???

TOILET.JPG

LD

I think it's a flush valve. used on water closets or ship's closets. thumbing through the 1867 Hayward Tyler and co. catalog, I see many similar items.
Still looking for the exact valve though.
They were used on water closets in ships, railway stations

As seen in this picture the apparatus would have been built into a wooden enclosure

Antique_Toilets020-DJFs.jpg

water-closet-or-toilet-dating-to-early-19th-century-chastleton-house-H3WRNF.jpg

The composting toilet isn't a new idea either.

earth-closet-1881.jpg

For extended camping or hunting trips we use a modified folding chair with a seat attached and a plastic bucket lined with a large plastic bag in the bucket under the chair. similar to the picture on post 24.

Again that darn valve.

1509230603-87203-2.jpg

The Downton's ship closet says it was used on the "Great Eastern" ship.
The SS Great eastern set sail on August 30, 1859.

The site describing the toiletry habits of the monarchy is one of the most interesting I've read about English sovereigns in years.

I saw a similar video including that and the daily routine, I would not want to be king.

Might as well have the Bumper Dumper!
http://bumperdumper.com/

Thunder jugs and such were so the women folk didn't have to go to the outhouse in the dark and below degree nights per my gram born in 1891 in Washington County Maine.

After last year the were not needed as they finally got indoor plumbing and electricity in Washington County.

The earth closet idea looks useful. Cat litter in the hopper?

"Born in 1801 and a hero, in a small way, of the 21st century green eco-movement, the Rev. Henry Moule patented an earth closet toilet system in 1860. His motives were to save his poor Victorian parishioners from cholera by devising a sanitary but simple set-up, suitable for homes where indoor piped water was an impossible dream. Today his design, now re-named a composting toilet, could save us from water shortages and expensive plumbing, while enriching our vegetable gardens. The big drawback is that someone has to haul earth around: first filling up the hopper which releases a dollop of earth or ash at the right time, and then emptying the bucket into a potato trench."

Back