• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thumped a boar with my pedersoli Kodiak .72

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went out about 430 been sprinkling on and off about 515pm my dusk sensor kicked on this solo boar came in gave me a 12 yard shot squeezed the trigger on the Kodiak .72 120 gr 2f Olde Eynsford 500 gr roundball he never took another step my front sight is glow in the dark white not the biggest boar but he will be great to eat had some nice cutters
FB_IMG_1578616178201.jpg

I went out about 430 been sprinkling on and off about 515pm my dusk sensor kicked on this solo boar came in gave me a 12 yard shot squeezed the trigger on the Kodiak .72 120 gr 2f Olde Eynsford 500 gr roundball he never took another step my front sight is glow in the dark white not the biggest boar but he will be great to eat had some nice cuttersView attachment 21827
Whoa, 12 yards? Nice! 300 pounder? Pass through at that distance and powder charge? Did i say NICE!

Yes sir all my night set ups are 15 yards scent free is a must I'll throw corn in front of the feeder to get odds in my favor. I only shoot if there head and body points to the South. If I shoot with head and body there is a deep creek 35 yards away to the South a big nasty thicket. The thicket helps in recovery when a hog is bleeding. The ball passed through the wound was nasty blew right through both callous shields some call it armour but all it is is a huge callous they get from rubbing on trees and fighting

I'd sure like to see getting in the traps again. I have 4 traps in the busiest area with the hogs, and they are just ignoring them !

It must of sounded awesome lighting that one up H.
Lol, 12yd....ever considered a spear?
I have speared them, I have a 10 foot cold steel spear I had a platform about 10 feet tall I stood on id bait them right up to the platform and stick them. ive stopped spearing them they make way to much noise and its hard getting to the vitals

When they get up close and personal I know that .72 dbl feels comforting.
You will now be carrying the colors, Marine!

I have speared them, I have a 10 foot cold steel spear I had a platform about 10 feet tall I stood on id bait them right up to the platform and stick them. ive stopped spearing them they make way to much noise and its hard getting to the vitals
Are they a bit light though? Wouldn't a heavier spear be better?

I think the best Spears have a solid hickory handle the cold steels are light. I stopped spearing them as as immediate death didn't happen. S9metimes you'd have to gig them again. Since I got back into traditional muzzleloading I stopped hunting them with bows even. That.72 showed me what a bang flop does so I imagine I'll be carrying it some more only drawback is it's 12 lbs

Back