• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

thumb screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any of you guys ever try to make a peep sight out of a thumb screw?

Hi Rusty,

I think you are talking about the barrel tang screw, right? (The Thumb Screw on a Flintlock is the old name for the Top Jaw Screw.)

If so, then no I haven't and would never do it as it won't provide a consistent position for a rear sight. Now, I HAVE seen some types of peep sights held in place by the Tang Screw and often/usually another screw, but they sit on top of the tang to provide a consistent position for a peep sight.

Gus

I think he might be referring to one of these.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 58
Did a forum search for "Lollipop Peep" sights.

No picture, but back in 2018 there was this entry to a thread:

If you examine the Johnson Peep site seen here
Product Listing Sights

you can get an idea of what can be done that still looks good.

or you can make a "lollipop peep" out of a thumbscrew and drill and tap your tang. These were actually in use on quite a few flint rifles back in Europe ...

yhs
shunka

WE can go back to 2013 for a picture.
1590790887907.png

You want the finest thread you can get in the thumbscrew.

Last edited:
What you are talking about would work. You will need to drill a hole in the tang and find a screw with appropriate threading. What you are making is a crude example of an original lollipop sight. Elevation is obvious and "some" windage can be obtained by rotating the screw. It won't have target accuracy but with some work you might be surprised what can be done.

Latest posts

Back