• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

THROWING KNIVES

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
THROWING KNIVES
A few days ago Zonie's inquired about information about throwing knives.
My son hand forges them from quality steel for the not so kindred spot of throwing knife competition.
He sent me a picture of a bunch of red practice knives and one finished one.
They are 12 inches long and weigh 12 ounces.
They don't have wooden handles because the wood would not survive a hit by a later thrown knife in, say, a five knife match.
I tried to upload the picture but with my usual thumb dominated skill it disappeared never to be seen again,
I asked Zonie's to contact me over the regular "net" but his interest has waned.
I'll try again here:

Several attempts - no cigar

Dutch

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1576201783340-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1576201783340-1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 146
  • FB_IMG_1576201783340.jpg
    FB_IMG_1576201783340.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 132
I think you have me confused with someone else.
I've never asked a question about throwing knives and I've never even owned one. I also have no desire to throw a knife at anything.

Anyway, you did manage to post a picture. That's a good thing. :thumb:

I never actually understood why anyone would want to throw away a perfectly good weapon. A knife in the hand always beats a knife in the air.
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY BUT EVERY RENDEZVOUS I EVER ATTENDED HAD PEOPLE THROWING PERFECTLY GOOD KNIVE AT A TARGET AND DOING A BAD JOBOF IT.MY SON WHO HAS NEGITIVE INTEREST IN BLACK POWDER HAS BECOME QUITE SKILLED IN KNIFE THROWING.

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE CONTRAIRY SONS?
DUTCH

I have always enjoy throwing hawks and knifes, in a real fight no. Always cracks me up in the movies the good guy throws a knife at the bad guy and it goes in about 3 inches and the bad guy falls over dead.

I never actually understood why anyone would want to throw away a perfectly good weapon.
A loooong time ago I was taught a knife was a last ditch weapon. I always believed that and could never understand why, as you say, anyone would even consider throwing their last lifeline away. :dunno:
Hi-ebber, and day is always a hi-ebber, in my much younger days I always had a lot of fun throwing knives and hawks! ;)

Contrary Sons? My wife would not allow guns in the house and prohibited my Son from playing with toy guns. He grew up, bought a bunch of guns, joined the army and shoots the Big guns (777)! Just got home from Afghanistan last night safe and sound, Amen!

I personally thank your son for his service to our country! I am glad he is home safe! Have a good day Rafterob!

Throwing knives and hawks were a sport for bored Militia in camp. Probably involved alcohol as well. It didn't waste powder and it was quiet.

I competed in a woods walk last year. This was invitation only and only good shooters were invited. The folks that set up the woodswalk figured that several people would hit all the targets; smoothbore, rifle or pistol, so 50% of the score was hawk and knife just to make it interesting. I did terrible since I haven't practiced hawk or knife in 20 years. I now have a throwing block in the back yard and am getting my form back with hawk but I still have problems with knife.

Like most of you I can't imagine throwing away a perfectly good weapon in a hand to hand combat, but there is a very good reason for practicing with them if you shoot in Primitive competitions.

I wish a knife would stick handle first or sideways or flat. 😁 That would be great. The only knife I can depend on is one Whip made about 30 years ago. It weighs about the same as a hawk and is almost as long. If I'm standing the correct distance it usually sticks.

Sometimes they do stick handle first, Klatch. Depends on how hard you throwem and how punky your target block is. Up in New England, they used to have "informal" knife throwing matches after all the shootin' iron were put away for the day. The target was often a playing card stuck on the block and you had to keep the blade of your thrown knife entirely within the card itself and it had to stay in place until retrieved. If your knife cut the perimeter of the card it didn't count. If it fell out of the block it didn't count. And if you spilled your beer you were disqualified. Closest to the center of the card won. I was on a job in New Hampshire for a year and a half and learned about most of those rules the hard way. That said, it was never suggested as a combat tactic, just as a sport. Same with a tomahawk.

Latest posts

Back