• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Throwing knives DNA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What makes a throwing knife … well … a "throwing knife". Is there a standard pattern or some distinct characteristics that must be had for this name to stick? Are there rules or parameters at Rendezvous for throwing knife competitions? Thanks

What makes a throwing knife … well … a "throwing knife".
Balance I'd say is pretty crucial.
Is there a standard pattern or some distinct characteristics that must be had for this name to stick?
So far, I haven't seen any. As far as characteristics, a throwing knife ought to be pretty tough to withstand all the abuse it will sustain when hitting unintended objects like rocks. I wouldn't throw my good smith made belt knife and risk dinging up the edge, or splintering the wood scales.
Are there rules or parameters at Rendezvous for throwing knife competitions? Thanks
I'd say check with the NMLRA rule book. If your throwing knife meets those requirements, it's probably good enough for most any rendezvous.

Like the Guys above said, most places don’t matter anymore....

However, Here are the NMLRA Requirements.

D1CD7ABB-0C0C-402B-8D52-FA5A4F0C4295.jpeg

The others have answered well. The only thing left to consider is knife size and local rules. Generally, a small knife at close range is easier to throw accurately. But, a light knife may not have the ability to stick in the wood target. And wood target characteristics can vary greatly in different matches. The larger, heavier knife will stick more reliably but must be thrown from a greater distance. And, keep in mind, in addition to the NMLRA rules, local clubs may impose distance requirements. This almost always eliminates use of smaller knives. Good luck.

I bought a cheap paki knife on ebay, I believe they call it an Apache Bowie or some such. It has bone handles that were promptly removed and replaced with leather slabs. Its a heavy carbon blade that holds a good edge and makes a decent camp knife. I never liked carrying around one of those leaf springs at a shoot or rondy, this knife suits me fine.

What makes a throwing knife … well … a "throwing knife". Is there a standard pattern or some distinct characteristics that must be had for this name to stick? Are there rules or parameters at Rendezvous for throwing knife competitions? Thanks
Funny you should ask.
My son is big in making Throwing knives. It's an entire different sport. They have competitive contests just like the ML people
I thought all such knives required you to be specific distances so the knife turning end over hit the target point first.
To my surprise there is also a knife, or maybe just the way it is thrown that does no need that end over end routine. I goes point first all the way.

i have tased him to give me some pictures of his products for Show & Tell on the Forum to lets YeeHaw folks see what the elite knife throwing are using.
He refuses to do so but he did put a link on my web site.
From what I have shakily noticed is that they don't have the handles we see peeking out of belt scabbards but are fairly slim.He has even developed some that glow in the dark
They are pretty expensive but when you see what is involved in their manufacturing process the price seems reasonable to me.
There Zonie, you have all I know on the subject of throwing knives
Dutch Schoultz

Funny you should ask.
My son is big in making Throwing knives. It's an entire different sport. They have competitive contests just like the ML people
I thought all such knives required you to be specific distances so the knife turning end over hit the target point first.
To my surprise there is also a knife, or maybe just the way it is thrown that does no need that end over end routine. I goes point first all the way.

i have tased him to give me some pictures of his products for Show & Tell on the Forum to lets YeeHaw folks see what the elite knife throwing are using.
He refuses to do so but he did put a link on my web site.
From what I have shakily noticed is that they don't have the handles we see peeking out of belt scabbards but are fairly slim.He has even developed some that glow in the dark
They are pretty expensive but when you see what is involved in their manufacturing process the price seems reasonable to me.
There Zonie, you have all I know on the subject of throwing knives
Dutch Schoultz
Spell correct would have had me tasering my only son to show some pictures. I held back my Taser and just asked him.
I also cannot explain the 7 inch blank white section in the middle of my post.
Computer knows Best???

Dutch

Long story short......sitting in the drivers seat in a cherry picker in my youth, I was being pestered by one of the yard hands about saw chain sharpening or something along those lines. He went on and on despite my instructions of where to go and grab some of the recently sharpened chains. Frankly his b.s. was making the rest of the crew late for a road clearing project. He kept coming out of the barn empty handed.
After his back and forth in and out of the wrong side of the barn looking for chains I had hung up on a nail, I lost it. I reached into the glove box, pulled out a cheap wood handled steak knife( don't know what it was in a cherry picker for), flung it out the window 40' and stuck it into the wooden barn door in front of his face. :eek: THAT DOOR!
Needless to say he was done with his insubordination. The rest of the crew spoke softly as well that week. I don't even think I paid for my cheese Danish that day.;)
So, I guess that made it a throwing knife.

Latest posts

Back