• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thread Adapter Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just recieved a thread adapter kit from October Country. They are made of brass with steel threads. One is 8-32m to 10-32f, one is 10-32m to 8-32f and one is 10-32 to 5/16-27 (shotgun). Man, I wish I had known of these long ago, it would have saved me a bunch of fumbling with cleaning rods and ends. Now I can just use my ramrod or range rod. No need to get out the Hoppe's kits for a rod. I now have a kit in my shooting box and one in my possibles bag. Handy.

They are hard to keep up with! Adapters are handy, and nobody seems to carry a full assortment. Thanks for the tip about October Country.

I like to use a shotgun rod on my larger-bore muzzleloaders. Brownell's has a brass 5/16-27 male to 8-32 female adapter, and RMC/Ox-Yoke has a similar one but with 10-32 female threads. Brownell's also has a solid brass patch loop for rifles of .50 caliber and up with either 5/16-27 or 8-32 threads. These solid brass loops, if you have occasion to use one, are far superior to the ones made of twisted wire. Dixie used to carry a set of adapters for military rods that had female threads in either 10-32, 12-24, or whatever the common metric thread is (5mm something) to 5/16-27, so you could mount shotgun cleaning components on your musket's ramrod. I bought several of these, but they appear to have been discontinued.

Thanks for the "heads up"!

Notchy Bob

Over the years I've accumulated all kinds of things like those adapters and lots of tools that I've never used. I have a fairly large range box, and like to just be prepared for anything that sneaks up on me. I had c02 dischargers for years that only got used on other guys guns at the matches...but now they are all worn out and can't get more of them. Lots of friends at the matches are sure worth lots of goodies to work on their rifles.....

On a ram rod with tips on both ends I make one end 8/32 and the other 10/32 to allow more options with out an adapter.
Me too. :thumb: Not only two thread choices, but if you are pulling a ball (for someone else of course 😂 ) you can have a jag on the top end to hook the rod in order to pull the rifle instead of the rod.
Larry

I just recieved a thread adapter kit from October Country. They are made of brass with steel threads. One is 8-32m to 10-32f, one is 10-32m to 8-32f and one is 10-32 to 5/16-27 (shotgun). Man, I wish I had known of these long ago, it would have saved me a bunch of fumbling with cleaning rods and ends. Now I can just use my ramrod or range rod. No need to get out the Hoppe's kits for a rod. I now have a kit in my shooting box and one in my possibles bag. Handy.
Got the same set a couple of months ago.
They stay in the house box. I only need 10-32 when out and about. 🙂👍

By the way. What's the point of 8-32 rammer threads when you can have the stronger 10-32?

wm

Last edited:
I use a small plano tackle box with separators to keep all my adaptors, jags, brushes, wedge puller/nipple wrench, ball buller, and patch worm in to keep from losing.
I also have an identical box somewhere....................:dunno:

I bought one of those brass and steel adapters to clean my 36 caliber ... brass was too big to go down the bore. Got a tap and rethreaded the rod.

Back