• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on TVM Natchez Poor Boy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle16

32 Cal
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Natchez Poor Boy Smooth Bore. I have a little bit of money saved up and for a grand, that rifle checks all the boxes for me. Or would it be wiser to save a little more for a different Fowler or or smooth bore

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Natchez Poor Boy Smooth Bore. I have a little bit of money saved up and for a grand, that rifle checks all the boxes for me. Or would it be wiser to save a little more for a different Fowler or or smooth bore
I ordered the Natchez rifle a few months back. I'm also looking at getting this gun as a smoothbore. TVM has made 2 other smoothbores for me, and they are great guns....I'd like to have a matched pair: Rifle & SmoothBore of the same styling.

There is one in development right now.

I thought a smoothbore was an option on the Colonial American?
A9A5255F-345B-475A-9354-A4B537730B0C.png

I've been keeping an eye on the Kibler website since a fowler was mentioned on a Youtube video I saw. But at this time I don't think I'm ready for a kit. No time. When the kids are older I'd like to try my hand at one of those. But as far as the TVM poor boy, turns out I was looking at old prices. They've gone up a bit it looks like. So back to saving a little bit more. Thanks for the responses.

What configuratio? I have selected walnut, 58 smooth, no latch box multiple times but have held off on hitting the “buy it” button so far as I would rather have a fowler.
50 cal smooth bore, extra fancy wood. I love the Colonial Era so this one fit perfectly.

I believe Jim has a fowler in the works now. Give him a bit and I'm sure he'll produce a kit.

-Doc

Have any of us actually seen a TVM Natchez Poor Boy rifle, in person? I have not, although I stopped in the TVM shop once, back when it was still in Corinth several years ago. At that time, Matt was building rifles he called "Poor Boys," on spec. It was my understanding he was using up leftover parts for these, so each one was more or less unique. For the money, they looked like a good deal.

This "Natchez Poor Boy" that TVM is marketing now appears to be a specific model using specific parts sets. It was initially offered at an introductory price below $1,000, but that offer has expired and the price is now $1,199 for the basic model. Again, it looks like a lot of gun for the money, but when you consider that many and perhaps most of the custom builders are charging roughly double that amount for their entry-level rifles, you wonder how they do it. The TVM Facebook page has a post from March 12th indicating they have four completed Natchez Poor Boys in stock. Two rifles, and two smoothbores, some with iron mounts, some with brass. If the OP sees one that he likes, he might have one in his hands within a matter of days. That is something to consider, also.

The Kibler kits inevitably come up in conversations like this. I don't have one, and haven't even seen one. By all accounts, they are great. However, they do require assembly and finishing, and the OP may or may not be up to the task. The other thing is that there are other manufacturers of authentically-styled precision gun and rifle kits, if the OP is willing to consider a kit. Brad Emig's Cabin Creek Muzzleloading shop offers several, including a rifled schimmel and a fowling piece, and Jim Chambers still makes and sells a variety of smoothbore and rifled precision gun kits at competitive prices. I am in no way criticising the Kibler kit. It's just that people starting out need to know that there are other choices.

I will say the standard model of the Natchez Poor Boy uses L&R flint locks, either a Trade Gun lock in right hand or a Queen Anne for the left hand model. My only experience with an L&R flint lock was with a Queen Anne. It worked... sort of... but i finally sent it to Brad Emig to be tuned up. It now works like a champ, but it did require that extra step to get it to that point.

I think the TVM Natchez Poor Boy is a nice-looking rifle, and I like the bone heel plate, which is authentic for some southern rifles. Matt and his crew put some thought into this piece. It has come up in discussion before, and there was a thread very similar to this one (except it didn't "drift" as much) a couple of months ago. Here is a link: TVM Natchez Poor Boy? That thread was started by a forum member named @Cherrybow. It sounded as if he had decided to order one, and he may even have it now. It might be worth Kyle16's while to contact him and find out how he likes it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Have any of us actually seen a TVM Natchez Poor Boy rifle, in person? I have not, although I stopped in the TVM shop once, back when it was still in Corinth several years ago. At that time, Matt was building rifles he called "Poor Boys," on spec. It was my understanding he was using up leftover parts for these, so each one was more or less unique. For the money, they looked like a good deal.

This "Natchez Poor Boy" that TVM is marketing now appears to be a specific model using specific parts sets. It was initially offered at an introductory price below $1,000, but that offer has expired and the price is now $1,199 for the basic model. Again, it looks like a lot of gun for the money, but when you consider that many and perhaps most of the custom builders are charging roughly double that amount for their entry-level rifles, you wonder how they do it. The TVM Facebook page has a post from March 12th indicating they have four completed Natchez Poor Boys in stock. Two rifles, and two smoothbores, some with iron mounts, some with brass. If the OP sees one that he likes, he might have one in his hands within a matter of days. That is something to consider, also.

The Kibler kits inevitably come up in conversations like this. I don't have one, and haven't even seen one. By all accounts, they are great. However, they do require assembly and finishing, and the OP may or may not be up to the task. The other thing is that there are other manufacturers of authentically-styled precision gun and rifle kits, if the OP is willing to consider a kit. Brad Emig's Cabin Creek Muzzleloading shop offers several, including a rifled schimmel and a fowling piece, and Jim Chambers still makes and sells a variety of smoothbore and rifled precision gun kits at competitive prices. I am in no way criticising the Kibler kit. It's just that people starting out need to know that there are other choices.

I will say the standard model of the Natchez Poor Boy uses L&R flint locks, either a Trade Gun lock in right hand or a Queen Anne for the left hand model. My only experience with an L&R flint lock was with a Queen Anne. It worked... sort of... but i finally sent it to Brad Emig to be tuned up. It now works like a champ, but it did require that extra step to get it to that point.

I think the TVM Natchez Poor Boy is a nice-looking rifle, and I like the bone heel plate, which is authentic for some southern rifles. Matt and his crew put some thought into this piece. It has come up in discussion before, and there was a thread very similar to this one (except it didn't "drift" as much) a couple of months ago. Here is a link: TVM Natchez Poor Boy? That thread was started by a forum member named @Cherrybow. It sounded as if he had decided to order one, and he may even have it now. It might be worth Kyle16's while to contact him and find out how he likes it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Hey, thanks Notchy! I was looking at the poor boy because it was a completed smooth bore in my current budget. Was thinking about trying to get before Turkey season. But now that’s on hold. I’m not opposed to kits, just don’t have the time right now. Work and youngsters. But if my plans on a Fowler gets pushed back a few years (which is fine), a kit would be a possibility. Giving me a few more options. I just looked at the ones you mentioned. This gives me things to research and consider. Thanks again.

Back