• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on SPAM "meat"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Growing up on a dairy we ate real food, scramble eggs and brains, triple, and blood sausage, heart and tongue for sandwiches.
I had never eaten a casserole until I was in my 20's. We ate real food at home and SPAM wasn't something on the menu. The great majority of my food still comes in recognizable form and rarely does packaged food finds its way home. The closest would be Rice-A-Roni and the occasional eggroll from the freezer case....

.......... we ate real food, scramble eggs and brains, triple, and blood sausage, heart and tongue for sandwiches.

Since you raised and turned it into dinner at home, you knew it didn't have come out of a can loaded with preservatives and you really knew what you were eating, and free of artificial preservatives your body was never meant to ingest.

Growing up on a dairy we ate real food, scramble eggs and brains, triple, and blood sausage, heart and tongue for sandwiches.

My mother was Polish. My dad was Norwegin. We also has real food with a lot of sour kraut. Great food.
Always ate the deer heart and liver. Fresh liver and onions.

Just got back grom the store.
They still sell Armour Treet.
I got a couple of cans of Spam Spread, eating it with bacon and garlic ritz crackers. Great snack

Crazy thing about crazy food is you like what you get used to eating. I think most veggies are what food eats. However:
Back in the 80s I tried the pritican diet plan, extream low fat diet. Almost vegetarian, And an unhealthy lack of fats. Hated it to begin with,but after a couple of months it all started tasting pretty good. Real food still tasted good, but I was no longer craving it. I was a good boy stayed on it for a year or so. Over time I grew to like navy food, and was in the Philippines and after a short time really liked food there.
Try cutting Brussel spouts up and frying them with a little bacon, or a dribble of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Or warped in bacon and broiled.
I ate in the Philippines and loved the barbequed monkey on a stick!

Then I am any number of odd and exotic things, since I am willing to eat anything that looks good (and many things that might not be so visually appealing). Then again, I was raised by parents who believed in exposing their children to the offerings of many other cultures and expanded my horizons greatly.

Armadillos are made of meat and meat is food. SPAM, on the other hand, is little more than overly-salty mushy ham-bits and not very exciting.
I eat a lot of varied meats to include rattle snake (yum), gator tail, frog legs (another yum) and, of course, deer (another yum). In the Philippines I ate monkey, rotten duck eggs (balute), octopus, squid and some things I didn't even know what they were.

Last edited:
Since you raised and turned it into dinner at home, you knew it didn't have come out of a can loaded with preservatives and you really knew what you were eating, and free of artificial preservatives your body was never meant to ingest.

You are right about the preservatives, that's why there are so many obese kids today. I tell the wife all the time you take the average 20 year old and give them a live chicken and a knife and they would starve to death looking from the chicken to the knife back and forth.

I ate in the Philippines and loved the barbequed monkey on a stick!
I ate a lot from street vendors in Alongopo on Subic bay. I was stationed in SanDiago and ran down to Tia Juana and Ensenada a lot. Ate off street vendors there. Never got sick, never had any thing I didn’t like. Ate a lot of monkey meat ona stick, and wondered then and still if the most of it was pork.

Although I always have a can of Spam Lite in my larder, I do smell an odd fragrance emanating from the Spam when it's cooking.....I do cook a lot and am aware that odors from food do enhance appetites ....so I have to ignore the Spam Lite's slightly negative smell.... well, nothing's perfect......Frerd

Hahaa. “Spam”. The other white meat!
Well it is that day and age to please all types I reckon. :p
Spam isn't going away, the company is diversifying to grab a larger part of the market share. Good business...
What annoys me is when I see things that are patently misleading like water that is labeled "Gluten-free" or "GMO-free" or any similar nonsense. People are gullible and businesses take advantage of this fact.

Glad to see we have scientists on board...or maybe they are just believers in "Spam". Its not that folks deny climate-change because up here in the north country our climate changes radically. Sure, trends overall may show warming but what is the optimal temperature? No one seems to answer that. I'm looking forward to a bit of that warming right now with wind-chills at -40*.

A lot of money can be made on the initiative surrounding climate change and its doomsday. I'm all for expansion alternative energy. No one likes to be dependent on anything. But we are dependent on traditional forms of energy... at least for now. The demand may decrease but it will not go away. Much like new technology has evolved from Black-powder muzzle-loaders to conventional forearms. (after all, this is a muzzle-loading forum) I hope you can agree that the possession of these objects are under attack. When will the Carbon-cops come for your carbon-emitting Hawken... for the greater good. It's no more ridiculous than regulating bovine-flatulence. It may be found that Spam may increase your propensity to flatulate. (hopefully its only the vegan variety)

I reject the doomsday-scare tactics and question the motives. It's just Spam of a different type. Odds are we'll be around in 12 years especially if you are young. Odds are we'll look back on all the different doomsdays in our past that scientists predicted. So if you can, make some money on this initiative... at least make more money than they want you to pay in for the tiny impact you have on it. True believers should put a giant wind-generator in their yard.... but I'll bet you won't. As far as the initiative goes... keep perspective and emotions in check and "follow the money".

I look forward to trying the bacon-flavored spam. Cooked the best way...double-paddy with a regular burger Hobo-style with onions in an open pit fire...before the carbon-police outlaw that method.

The doomsday pronouncements are used to alarm the uninformed in an attempt to sway voting. If you tell someone the sky is falling, they will vote for your policy to create an anti-sky-falling umbrella (and all the appended "pork" that lines their pockets). The key is to become informed and not accept the garbage that is spewed out by pathologically uninformed politicians or anyone else. Being skeptical and NOT accepting anything without evidence is a good thing. However, if you dismiss factual evidence because you personally don't believe (and just accept the garbage other uninformed people spew out), you have just committed an argument from ignorance fallacy and are just WRONG.

You are entitled to your opinions but not entitled to your own facts - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'll stick with bacon.

Last edited:
Real Scientists have proven that the Mount St. Helens eruption put more air pollution into the atmosphere all at once, than everything man has done since the Industrial Age began and that was just one eruption. There have been something like at least three or four (or more) eruptions in my life time that were as large or larger than Mt. St. Helens.

I am a Conservationalist, so I don't want serious amounts of man made poisons introduced into the air, land or water. I actually twice reported finding such evidence on hunting or fishing trips to State Agencies when I found them.

However, if we indeed follow most of the common "scientific facts" espoused by Climate Change folks, then anything and everything the U.S. can or will do will mean nothing, because China and India will ruin the planet all by themselves in the next 50 years.

Gus

Career military and civil service type officials who have to develop long term planning, and that includes contingency ops for all sorts of events, are well aware that even a few degrees of higher temperatures know the results can include droughts, crop failures, water shortages that lead to refugees fleeing one country for another place to live, wars over water, and other resources needed desperately. Or, to use war as a last resort to stave off regime change. Sound familiar? It should. The US military takes the view that ignoring climate and environmental could be disastrous if it does an "ostrich" routine.

Military planners and those who have civil service type positions requiring long term planning are not politicians who may not be in office when bad political decisions result in the proverbial chickens coming home to roost. I've heard many politicians who dispute science and the idea of climate change. I've heard very few military planners who take the same point of view. The military far too often gets the job of cleaning up messes and paying the bill, the politicians make and walk away from with no consequences, other than the risk of losing their next election, when things go south.

Real Scientists have proven that the Mount St. Helens eruption put more air pollution into the atmosphere all at once, than everything man has done since the Industrial Age began and that was just one eruption.
Source?

"According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while our automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of emissions every year worldwide."
https://www.thoughtco.com/volcanoes-generate-more-greenhouse-gas-humans-1203923

"The burning of fossil fuels and changes in land use results in the emission into the atmosphere of approximately 34 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide per year worldwide, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA). The fossil fuels emissions numbers are about 100 times bigger than even the maximum estimated volcanic CO2 fluxes."
https://www.skepticalscience.com/volcanoes-and-global-warming.htm

Having been one of those "Military Planners" at Division Level and Marine Forces Command and even Joint Task Force Command in Somalia, one has to take such things with a huge bag, if not truck load of salt. We planned for all kinds of things and not just for environmental/climate conditions. Most Civilians would not want to know things we planned for and the outcomes that could or would result.

Severe long term climate change has never been good for Homo Sapiens and again, I'm for doing what we can do and can afford to do. But much of what has been espoused can not be done by the limits of our technology or cost or WORSE by the climate change folks themselves being against Nuclear and some other technologies.

If the World's Major Climate Change folks ever HAD or ever WOULD voluntarily pay the tax that Hunters and Fishermen in U.S. have done for decades, then things would be better.

Gus

Having been one of those "Military Planners" at Division Level and Marine Forces Command and even Joint Task Force Command in Somalia, one has to take such things with a huge bag, if not truck load of salt. We planned for all kinds of things and not just for environmental/climate conditions. Most Civilians would not want to know things we planned for and the outcomes that could or would result.

Severe long term climate change has never been good for Homo Sapiens and again, I'm for doing what we can do and can afford to do. But much of what has been espoused can not be done by the limits of our technology or cost or WORSE by the climate change folks themselves being against Nuclear and some other technologies. If the Climate Change folks ever

Gus

Division level planning and Pentagon level planning are on very different levels. Divisional officers take orders, not tell the people over them which way the wind blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back