• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thoughts on SPAM "meat"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, ....
Someone postulated the use of Spam as sort of a psudo/substitute of some kind of salt pork thing, ... then someone else dropped a comment that was labeled as offensive to certian people, ... and that's about when I got me a big bowl of popcorn an a large drink, and sat back to see where this went!
Long story short, ... some got their clouts all twisted, ... some didn't, ... and they been arguin, real entertainin like ever since.
Quite educational on several different levels actually.:rolleyes:;)
It’s been a long winter

Well, ....
Someone postulated the use of Spam as sort of a psudo/substitute of some kind of salt pork thing, ... .

I think SPAM would be a lot closer to potted meat. still, it's about as relevant as whitewalls on a cannon carriage.

I think SPAM would be a lot closer to potted meat. still, it's about as relevant as whitewalls on a cannon carriage.
Considering I've had a neighbor at Rendezvous with a red & yellow plastic Hummingbird feeder in camp, white-walls aren't that much of a stretch....

Considering I've had a neighbor at Rendezvous with a red & yellow plastic Hummingbird feeder in camp, white-walls aren't that much of a stretch....
I saw an ol’boy That had a brain tanned tobacco bag at his neck. Nice piece of work. On the back had a little pocket in the back for a lighter. Kept a pack of cigarettes in it

I agree this has nothing to do with muzzleloading, unless you are into rendezvousing or buckskinning. Handy way to transport a meat for eatin'. BTW, the Spam museum in Austin, MN, is a heckuva fascinating visit. Lots of history wrapped up in them rectangular, easy to pack cans.

All this Spam talk is making me hungry.
Gonna go crack open that can of Saracha Spam, slice and fry and serve with some scrambled eggs and toast.

If you dont have teeth or the dentures are not close by pulverized spam hits the spot.
If you dont have teeth or the dentures are not close by pulverized spam hits the spot.
Eighteenth century potted meat is easy and tastie. You can get fairly costly ceramic pots, but you can get the Oui brand French yogurt and they have perfect little jars for the meat.

Spam fed the Russian army, the perfect shape to ship.Long live Spam!!!!
blessings
Well remember this was the same army when having a lack of parachutes for airborn infantry, tried to pack soldiers into steel barrels having interiors padded with straw, and dropped from very low flying aircraft at almost stall speeds, into muddy fields.

It took the German infantry a while to figure out why the Russians were burying fully uniformed and equipped soldiers in 55 gallon steel drums in fields, since they kept finding the barrels stuck deep in the mud with a dead soldier within...., until one day they saw such an attempt to drop the Russians in action.....

So OK I'm not entirely sure that's a true account, but I did read about it in a military history magazine......might just be propaganda...

LD

Well remember this was the same army when having a lack of parachutes for airborn infantry, tried to pack soldiers into steel barrels having interiors padded with straw, and dropped from very low flying aircraft at almost stall speeds, into muddy fields.

It took the German infantry a while to figure out why the Russians were burying fully uniformed and equipped soldiers in 55 gallon steel drums in fields, since they kept finding the barrels stuck deep in the mud with a dead soldier within...., until one day they saw such an attempt to drop the Russians in action.....

So OK I'm not entirely sure that's a true account, but I did read about it in a military history magazine......might just be propaganda...

LD

The Russians didn't do that, but they did something close to it...during winter when there was deep snow. Soldiers were told to lie on the wings of transport aircraft before take-off. The pilot took off and would fly low and slow. When the aircraft reached the intended drop zones, the soldiers who were still holding on where told to let go and drop into deep snow drifts. Hmmm....

As an aside, the current Red Army (it still exists btw even though it is commonly referred to as the "Russian Army"), has been doing something very similar to the soldiers in a steel barrel. Tank crews climb into a tank, drive into the bay of transports, and the tank and crew seated inside are dropped by parachute(s). Count me out on trying that....

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

LD
The thing was that so many crazy ideas were tried that that one sounds like it could maybe been tried.

Keep in mind, there are many true believers who insist you do as they do. Not only vegans, but any number of radical politicos, religious evangelists, sexual alternatives.
Anyone who demands you respect and acknowledge their behavior/beliefs/lifestyles/ dietary peculiarities thru boycotts, in-your-face confrontations, legislation to ban anything they don't agree with - these are the 'morons'. Those who go about their business without insisting everyone else knows about it are the ones to be respected.

I like flint ignition and patched roundballs, but I don't find it necessary to incessantly remind everyone about it, nor convert conical or caplock users to 'my' way.

So, go eat your tofurky, but don't insist I must do the same, and don't lie about properties or contents of meat, and definitely don't try to legislate mandatory vegan diets.

Pepperodin has only posted twice since Mar 2018. The first was to reprove a guy who shot a coyote. The second one you know about. I think he's reserved a place on high moral ground.

Polling data can be skewed by the way questions are written, but it also depends on the polling organization and their potential bias. For example - You can't trust an evangelical christian poll to be objective about evolution, science or sex education. Regardless, you can still ask people what they support and the data should be generally representative of the group to which they belong.
Have to chuckle, deriding people for making blanket statements and then lump evangelical Christians in to a group that can’t be objective. Objectivity in this case is based on what one considers supreme authority on the subject. Accepting ‘hard scientific evidence’ vs religious doctrine doesn’t make one more or less objective both groups wonder why the other can’t see the simple truths of their ‘facts’.

Have to chuckle, deriding people for making blanket statements and then lump evangelical Christians in to a group that can’t be objective. Objectivity in this case is based on what one considers supreme authority on the subject. Accepting ‘hard scientific evidence’ vs religious doctrine doesn’t make one more or less objective both groups wonder why the other can’t see the simple truths of their ‘facts’.
I specifically said an evangelical christian poll couldn't be objective about science, evolution or sex education. All you need to do is spend about 2 minutes looking at the data (and I have) and you will see this is an undisputed FACT.

Frankly, I don't appreciate your attempt at twisting my words when I was EXCEPTIONALLY clear in what I wrote. I made no blanket statement about a group as a whole and I didn't insult an entire group either.

Last edited:
@tenngun I saw that also and found it slightly amusing, I applaud you for commenting, I thought about it but decided I’d get a more meaningful conversation with the tom cat on the front porch, I’ve noticed also in all these seemingly simple, entertaining discussions about spam and other things of little importance that there always seems to be one common denominator involved when it gets spoiled.

@tenngun I saw that also and found it slightly amusing, I applaud you for commenting, I thought about it but decided I’d get a more meaningful conversation with the tom cat on the front porch, I’ve noticed also in all these seemingly simple, entertaining discussions about spam and other things of little importance that there always seems to be one common denominator involved when it gets spoiled.
My SINCEREST apologies for having an opinion that disagrees with yours - I shall make every effort to correct this in future posts...:confused::confused::confused:o_Oo_Oo_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back