Thoughts On Smooth Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
You've been here since 2007,,,, have you somehow missed the excellent posts from our friend across the pond, @Britsmoothy ?

😆

Seriously, the guy has posted may reports of rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, crows, fox, wood pigeons, and probably some other critters I'm forgetting. Sure, he uses a 20 gauge trade gun sometimes, and I he has a 12 gauge halfstock that I'm spacing out on the name of, plus some game taken with a Brown Bess,,,,, but most often his hunt reports involve his little .45 smoothrifle that I am so envious of.

Larry Akers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The first rifle I built 55 years ago was a .375 smooth bore. I shot 55 grs. 3F, tight patch around a .370 ball and could hold my own against rifled bore shooters out to 50 yards or so. It would really CRACK. I won my first competition medal (gold) at the Georgia State shoot in 1969 with that gun. Shot a lot of squirrels with it using single round ball. I never tried shooting shot. Still have the gun but the lock is worn out and not safe to shoot.

BigD63

Red Ryder .177
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently posted this question/thread in the smoothbore forum and received many great answers...

Why a smoothbore?​

It might be of interest to you...https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/why-a-smoothbore.154663/

Reaction score
Sure, they exist and did back in the day. They were used by scientists and artists to collect birds and other small animals for study without doing much damage. However, I do not see the point to having one. A 20 ga. is lighter and much more versatile.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently posted this question/thread in the smoothbore forum and received many great answers...

Why a smoothbore?​

It might be of interest to you...https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/why-a-smoothbore.154663/
I have two smootbores but no smooth rifles, different things.