• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on smooth bore rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boker,
My thoughts are much the same as yours, one gun to hunt them all. Here in the NE shots are close, so a smoothbore is certainly appropriate for me. I acquired a TC Renegade, .50 caliber, at a really good price and sent it off to Bobby Hoyt to be bored to .58 caliber (24 gauge). My reasoning was that the 24 ga. can handle 1-1/8 oz. shot loads and the .58 round ball is no slouch in the deer-killing game. Mostly I run 1oz. loads of #5's for squirrels, same as I used to do in my old 20 ga. umentionable, kills'em dead! I load 1-1/8 oz. of 7-1/2's for turkey and 1oz. of 7-1/2 for bunnies and grouse. I found over the years that #5 shot will reliably penetrate squirrel hide, #6 was a little iffy sometimes, and I couldn't count on 7-1/3's 100%.
Have at it, the critters are out there!

The use of a smooth bored rifles is good for short-range all-around hunting. One of the first items to check on is the hunting regulations for the game you will be hunting. The most restrictive is likely to be turkey. Many states' regulations require a minimum of 20 gauge loads for turkey. A 20 gauge smooth bored gun will certainly be adequate for all the hunting you have listed. The 54/56 caliber (28 gauge) smooth gun offers effective round ball performance on deer and good shot performance on squirrel, rabbit and upland birds. Where allowed, it can be effective on turkey at 25 or less yards. You do want the barrel to be sized for the gauge/caliber being shot. A smooth rifle in 28 gauge with a barrel sized for a 20 gauge will be heavy and awkward to handle. A 20 gauge with the appropriately dimensioned barrel will be a joy to shoot. The 20 gauge components will be a little easier to find. The 58 caliber / 24 gauge is an in between bore size.

My order of preference would be based on the gauge allowed for the game being hunted.

Then I would be looking to see what is available in that gauge and what time frame would be required to get that smooth bored rifle sighted gun.

Then I would choose the bore based on the dimensions of the barrel. A lighter overall weight will be better.

I have a Lancaster style smooth rifle in .54 with a “C” contour swamped 38” barrel.
Like it a lot.

I have a .62/20ga smooth rifle. 20 ga is minimum for turkey in my state.

While I have not hunted whitetails with it, I did work up a load for it that I feel 75 yards would be max...50 yds no problem.

I've taken squirrels, rabbits, and turkeys with it over the decade or so I've owned it. Might give it a try on deer next year.

If I could only have one gun, my smooth rifle would definitely be it!
2022-11-24_10-06-29.jpg
2022-11-24_10-07-10.jpg
2022-11-24_10-07-33.jpg

Latest posts

Back