• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on removal of stamping on traditions barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the logo off a GM barrel, the punch method, it took about 10 minutes before draw filing. Looks like burnishing is a lost cause.

Here is the finished result, the logo was an inch or so forward of the touchhole liner. I struggled to fit the breechplug, when I finally got it perfect the logo was on the side flat, I didn't want to advance the tang two more flats so I stopped where I was and removed the logo.
touchhole liner 016.JPG

What grit emory paper did you use to smooth it all out ?

I took the logo off a GM barrel, the punch method, it took about 10 minutes before draw filing. Looks like burnishing is a lost cause.

Here is the finished result, the logo was an inch or so forward of the touchhole liner. I struggled to fit the breechplug, when I finally got it perfect the logo was on the side flat, I didn't want to advance the tang two more flats so I stopped where I was and removed the logo.
View attachment 66446

They are stamped or rolled in, displacing the metal. You can very carefully pean the metal down and file it smooth. In all likelihood it will leave some thin lines where the gap isn't completely filled. At least it did for me.
Good luck!
Robby
Peening is what I was taught by a master builder, and he had a tool he made just to do that job.

It wasn't difficult to draw file the lettering off this newer model trapper pistol. It took a little bit of work, but it was manageable. No need to peen the letters down because they looked more laser etched than rolled or stamped.

RM

Attachments

• 20210228_113751.jpg
    20210228_113751.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210228_113725.jpg
    20210228_113725.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 74
I draw filed the lettering off of two Traditions barrels, peening was not necessary. I used a new single cut file, it went fast, after rust bluing there was no trace of it ever being stamped. I used an electro- pencil and wrote the serial number on the bottom of the barrel.To me all that lettering was an eyesore, it had to go.

I am a professional engraver and sometimes have to remove stamping such as this.
Draw filing is one way but often it is not the best way because on a nice gun people can detect the difference in the barrel profile. Tig welding is another method but most of you don't have a tig welder or the ability. Another method I often use is to fill the letters with iron inlays. This would not be possible for most muzzleloading builders because you almost need a microscope to do that and the knowledge. Most muzzleloading guns are not worth the expense of hiring it done so you are left with draw filing. Hold the file at an angle to the work and don't apply too much pressure. Too much pressure will cause the file to load up and scratch the barrel. Filing with light pressure on the return stroke will help reduce the loading of the teeth. I don't recommend chalk. One more option, Replace the barrel.

After a 6hr trial run I finally got both sides of the barrel clear and ready for final polishing tomorrow before a vinegar dunking followed by a cold blue/ brown finish. This was a lot harder than I anticipated, due no doubt to my inexperience. I started with just burnishing the panel with a ball peen hammer (right side) and that took 4hrs and two cramped hands!

The opposite side you see below ( saftey warning) I decided to combine burnishing, draw filing ( sort of) and a low grit sandpaper. This actually worked very well and only took 2hrs. I think one of the things which made it so difficult was the 3" barrel; three inches does not allow much maneuvering for draw fuiling so instead I used several small files to accomplish the same thing. I'll fine polish both sides tomorrow with emory paper tomorrow and post progress pics.

umdjI7eh.jpg

Last edited:
After a 6hr trial run I finally got both sides of the barrel clear and ready for final polishing tomorrow before a vinegar dunking followed by a cold blue/ brown finish. This was a lot harder than I anticipated, due no doubt to my inexperience. I started with just burnishing the panel with a ball peen hammer (right side) and that took 4hrs and two cramped hands!

The opposite side you see below ( saftey warning) I decided to combine burnishing, draw filing ( sort of) and a low grit sandpaper. This actually worked very well and only took 2hrs. I think one of the things which made it so difficult was the 3" barrel; three inches does not allow much maneuvering for draw fuiling so instead I used several small files to accomplish the same thing. I'll fine polish both sides tomorrow with emory paper tomorrow and post progress pics.

umdjI7eh.jpg
All of those little scratches and gouges will stick out like a sore thumb if you don't remove them before you polish the side of the barrel shown in this picture I borrowed from your earlier post. Even a hairline scratch will show so, IMO, your work is far from ready for final bluing

1614637162441.png

Yes. It took another 2hrs of wet/ dry sand paper and fine steel wool to arrive at the blue removal stage, which I may do tomorrow or the next day. Then a final check and only then, re-blue. All rough scratches and marks are now gone.

All of those little scratches and gouges will stick out like a sore thumb if you don't remove them before you polish the side of the barrel shown in this picture I borrowed from your earlier post. Even a hairline scratch will show so, IMO, your work is far from ready for final bluing

View attachment 66675

Thanks for all the input! great ideas. My thught was to draw file might head down that path again Thanks!!

I'll have to re-read this thread later, but I would think any kind of filing would mean removing metal.

Yep, when you file, you are removing metal. Think they are called file shavings.

Latest posts

Back