• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thoughts on Eatable CWD Deer??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This brings up some observations and a dilemma on my part. First, if you look at Texas confirmed CWD the State lists whether the deer was free range, deer farm or deer breeding facility. Next they list County, Sex and Age and Date. Interesting to me is that the Counties with deer farm or deer breeding facility positive deer are also the only one's with free range positive deer. That applies to Whitetail Deer. However, the Counties with Mule Deer that are CWD positive are all free range and there are no Whitetail Deer positive cases documented. How did that happen? The whitetail makes some sense - the deer either got out or had contact with one of the "farms" with a positive test. How'd the Mule Deer get it? My personal dilemma is that TWO of the deer I shot this year are in one of the Counties that has had confirmed CWD in two free range deer in the past 3-years. Mine did not require testing and its too late. Do I eat my deer?
Eat it and not worry. I only tested because my deer fell within the requirements to be tested. I have never tested one before and have eaten deer every year for the past 35 years. If you don't fall within testing requirements, don't worry.
Walk

Got to agree with you Walk. Thats what she told me. Take a little chance....
Actually if we were to worry about anything thatd get us, we would never leave the house. And probably still die young.

I’m afraid that anyone who lives near a CWD area, and get the deer processed at a commercial butcher shop, has been exposed to the disease. Processors cut through the bones and spine with saws and spread the infected tissue on their equipment. Other people’s deer meat gets tainted by the saws and grinders.

some areas have had CWD for over a hundred years and thousands or millions of people have eaten the infected meat. Don’t think there has been any real evidence that people have come down with the disease.

I don't think there's been any link established between KJD and CWD. The science on KJD suggests that it's spontaneous with no known established links to anything. It occurs the world over.

I don't think there's been any link established between KJD and CWD. The science on KJD suggests that it's spontaneous with no known established links to anything. It occurs the world over.
That may be true... but I've researched it a bit and found cases of an unidentified disease resembling KJD acquired by a few hunters (and/or their families), all of which were in areas with CWD. I don't think the jury is quite out yet on this one. As for myself, I'm inclined to be cautious for now and not eat any ruminant from an area with CWD. Of course, I have the luxury of this opinion since CWD isn't in my area yet. My opinion may be subject to change once it is (it's about 3 counties away from me right now).

That may be true... but I've researched it a bit and found cases of an unidentified disease resembling KJD acquired by a few hunters (and/or their families), all of which were in areas with CWD. I don't think the jury is quite out yet on this one. As for myself, I'm inclined to be cautious for now and not eat any ruminant from an area with CWD. Of course, I have the luxury of this opinion since CWD isn't in my area yet. My opinion may be subject to change once it is (it's about 3 counties away from me right now).

I have addressed this to David, but it's actually to all that are interested in this CWD. This is either the second or third year that we have had the problem in Montana. In certain designated areas, where it has been found, you aren't allowed to take the spinal column or head out of the area, only the meat like in quarters or back straps. This year, the fish wildlife and parks would test any deer free of charge to see if it was positive for CWD. Other years they only would test the ones out of certain areas free. I'm not certain what it cost to have them tested, I think it was $17 per test. If you're tested deer test positive, you did not have to eat it and you could hunt for another deer. I don't know if they furnished a free tag, I doubted it, there never was any provision for free tags before in Montana, which you were entitled to do was to buy another one if your deer wasn't edible. This did create some problem for those that had a deer that was suspected of having CWD, as you had to have the meat taken care of as it took a couple of weeks to get the test back. I lucked out this year, the weather was pitiful during hunting season, and the bonus was I didn't get any deer. As a side note, I believe one elk and one moose were both found to be positive as they can also Get CWD. The only safe thing to hunt in Montana, at this time, is antelope.
Squint

Here is an interesting link to an article dealing with CWD experiments.

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html

It seems CWD can be transmitted to some less human like monkeys but a more human like monkey did not contract the disease unless the contaminated brain tissue was placed directly into the monkey's brain.

Had me foxed for a while.CWD in U>K>usually refers to Chinese Water Deer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Politics enter with ballot box biology. Colorado voters get to vote on introducing wolves to this state, a 2020 ballot issue. The wolf advocates include an assertion the wolves would prey on CWD deer; uncertain and to my knowledge not proven from experiences in Wyoming and Montana where wolves are present as well as CWD. The wolf introduction notion is horrible.

After reading this thread it appears that this is really one of these designer diseases.. it just sorta appeared you cant kill it, maybe you can catch it maybe not . The powers that be want to stop up from hunting

After reading this thread it appears that this is really one of these designer diseases.. it just sorta appeared you cant kill it, maybe you can catch it maybe not . The powers that be want to stop up from hunting

Jim...this is not new at all. It is a form of TSE (Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy). The beginnings were in the mid 1700's...long before people wanted to stop hunting. From one source I found on it's beginnings "...a discussion took place in the British Parliament in 1755 about the economic effects of a fatal and spreading disease in sheep, and the need for government to do something about it." That disease, of course, was scrapie.

In 1959, this endemic disease of sheep, unknown or ignored by medical science, was proposed by an American veterinarian to be analogous to a newly described disease of humans, called kuru, an epidemic neurological disorder found only in the Eastern Highlands of Papua New Guinea. In 1963, experiments to detect an infectious agent in kuru succeeded in transmitting disease to chimpanzees after incubation periods of 18-20 months. In the meantime, a neuropathological study of kuru had suggested a resemblance to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), first described in the early 1920’s by two German neurologists whose names comprise its eponym. CJD was therefore also inoculated into chimpanzees, and transmitted disease within 12-14 months."

Mad Cow is the same thing in cattle. In 1996, with the recognition in British young people of a “new variant” of CJD (nvCJD) that has since been traced to the consumption of tissue from cattle infected with spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), they having in turn consumed meat and bone meal nutritional supplements contaminated with scrapie-infected rendered sheep carcasses.

Sheep to cows to people. Hardly a stretch of deer to people transmission.

Jim...this is not new at all. It is a form of TSE (Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy). The beginnings were in the mid 1700's...long before people wanted to stop hunting. From one source I found on it's beginnings "...a discussion took place in the British Parliament in 1755 about the economic effects of a fatal and spreading disease in sheep, and the need for government to do something about it." That disease, of course, was scrapie.

In 1959, this endemic disease of sheep, unknown or ignored by medical science, was proposed by an American veterinarian to be analogous to a newly described disease of humans, called kuru, an epidemic neurological disorder found only in the Eastern Highlands of Papua New Guinea. In 1963, experiments to detect an infectious agent in kuru succeeded in transmitting disease to chimpanzees after incubation periods of 18-20 months. In the meantime, a neuropathological study of kuru had suggested a resemblance to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), first described in the early 1920’s by two German neurologists whose names comprise its eponym. CJD was therefore also inoculated into chimpanzees, and transmitted disease within 12-14 months."

Mad Cow is the same thing in cattle. In 1996, with the recognition in British young people of a “new variant” of CJD (nvCJD) that has since been traced to the consumption of tissue from cattle infected with spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), they having in turn consumed meat and bone meal nutritional supplements contaminated with scrapie-infected rendered sheep carcasses.

Sheep to cows to people. Hardly a stretch of deer to people transmission.
That information had not been posted here to fore. thanks for the up date. in the initial outbreaks in deer was it in an area where Sheep had been introduced and is that the case today. which would point to the sheep and not the feeding of corn or salt supplements. Man feeding animals food that they can’t tolerate produces man made diseases

Last edited:
That information had not been posted here to fore. thanks for the up date. in the initial outbreaks in deer was it in an area where Sheep had been introduced and is that the case today. which would point to the sheep and not the feeding of corn or salt supplements

I don’t think anyone knows for sure where it came from, but this seems likely.

“CWD was first reported in a research facility in Fort Collins, Colorado (where both sheep and deer were kept) it is likely that CWD, like Mad Cow Disease, is a result of deer coming into contact with either scrapie infected sheep or scrapie-contaminated soil or other surfaces (providing that CWD is caused by a prion, bacteria, virus or virino).“

ThTs an interesting article . Mankind unlike animals evolved over time eating meat and grains. It would be interesting to see if the people who have contacted this have something common in their DNA that would make them genetically susceptible ...

How many people have harvested deer and never had them tested for CWD. I'm sure they enjoyed their venison and never worried or even thought about it.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend not consuming venison from infected deer. Michigan State University Extension highly recommends that venison from a positively infected CWD deer not be consumed. When in doubt, do not consume the venison and properly dispose of the entire carcass.

Last edited:
Back