• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thoughts on a hooked breech

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a full stock Hawken style/ plains rifle. I love the rifle, it fits me perfectly. It’s a .58 flintlock, late English lock. 1” 36” barrel, I’m not sure what brand. Are they generally marked underneath? The only thing that could be an improvement to me would be to have the removable breech installed. Do y’all think it would be too much trouble to do? Where would one start? Figure out what size threads on my existing breech plug? Anyone out there done this? I’m sure that’s a silly question. Might even entertain having it done, who to talk too? I guess it’s more of a want then a need,Input very much appreciated.
460DAB81-0A9B-4D66-9B20-7E8A32D70641.jpeg
3C80260C-06F2-4605-9F27-6C3347F15D01.jpeg
51AD9BDA-9CEF-496C-8316-57879C8C9C34.jpeg

A hooked breech sure makes disassembly easier. But your rifle would require quite a bit of skilled work to pull that off. First, yould likely have to set the tang back farther to be able to line up your ignition. Depending on the curvature of the stock that may not even be possible. Then you have to change your pins to keys. Then rebreech the barrel. In short its not a real good idea, in my opinion anyway, yours and others may vary.

Most barrels aren’t marked as to manufacture.
The only problem I see with fitting a hooked breech is matching that tang. Simple enough but a step that needs considering.

I reckon it is an unnecessary procedure. Probably end up one big headache. I just like that feature. Jeremia Johnson had to wait on a true Hawken, I guess I can too, haha! Ill keep my eyes open, I have seen some nice rifles come thru the forum from time to time. Thanks for the comments!

Hi,
It could be done but it would be a major job. First, you cannot move the barrel so your break off tang has to be inlet into the wood behind the barrel. Then you would need a break off with a tang to match or cover over the current tang mortise. If I was doing the job, I would cut off the current tang behind the bolster and file the bolster into the hook. That way you do not have to fit a new plug. Then shape the hook for the break off you buy or make and inlet the tang.

dave

To fit in a new breech plug you have to screw it in tight and the flats have to line up, otherwise you will have to start messing with things that can't really be changed on a finished rifle. If you are building from scratch, you can screw in the breech plug and if it doesn't line up- take something off here or there until it looks okay but reworking a finished gun- not a good idea in my humble opinion.

Hi,
It could be done but it would be a major job. First, you cannot move the barrel so your break off tang has to be inlet into the wood behind the barrel. Then you would need a break off with a tang to match or cover over the current tang mortise. If I was doing the job, I would cut off the current tang behind the bolster and file the bolster into the hook. That way you do not have to fit a new plug. Then shape the hook for the break off you buy or make and inlet the tang.

dave
Thanks for the explanation, I can visualize exactly what you are saying there. That makes sense! It would be a heck of an accomplishment to do, nothing I can realistically accomplish until I am able to retire! Time is an enemy right now. Thank you.

Thanks for the explanation, I can visualize exactly what you are saying there. That makes sense! It would be a heck of an accomplishment to do, nothing I can realistically accomplish until I am able to retire! Time is an enemy right now. Thank you.
Time is not the enemy. Your utilization of your time is up to you. You may have many time-consuming obligations, but how you use your time is still primarily up to you.

The original full stock Hawken rifles were cheaper than the half stock versions , I'd guess why this was is they did not have a breakoff breach or hooked breach or patent breach , whatever you like to call it , they also didn't have to have a rib soldered under the barrel or captured keys and oval inlays . All less material and labor . As you have been advised it can be done , but in my opinion it would no longer be a replica Hawken .

Back