• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on a Flintlock Double Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening,

A friend of mine reached out for help identifying this flint shotgun or more like what it was in a previous life. This guy was Value Engineered with a modern 12 double barrel converted into muzzleloader barrels. My first statement was Don't even think about shooting it.

Anyone have any thoughts about what it may have been by the locks. stock shape, trigger guard. No markings , a very hefty
beech stock, Check out the pictures.

Thanks
1.jpg
2.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Well it looks rough as bags .But having gone to all that trouble Its unlikely if possible to be unsafe .Who ever wants to shoot it he needs take out the plugs and see how well its plugged . There dos'nt seem to be any commercial historic elliments . .Its no Manton , but full marks for effort !. Rudyard

Well it looks rough as bags .But having gone to all that trouble Its unlikely if possible to be unsafe .Who ever wants to shoot it he needs take out the plugs and see how well its plugged . There dos'nt seem to be any commercial historic elliments . .Its no Manton , but full marks for effort !. Rudyard
I was thinking of suggesting filling the barrels with cement rather than pull the breech plugs.
4.jpg
See attached photos

They are Belgium tubes perhaps sold unfinished via Dixie. If so there are no chambers to get round, there steel, there brazed together ..And its some ones best effort to make a double .. Could you do any better ? Looks like they stood provisional proof .Certainly its a bit ametture but I still say full marks for effort . How he got round the loop would interest me . I made up a double ten bore once for a clay shooter in Ohio , using a loose pair of LC Smith brls Herman Marker who used to run the woods walk clay area at Friendship .Curiously it had one barrel twist & the other brl of Damascus /I figured they got mixed up in the white state & it wasn't found till they where browned. If any ones has it or any guns signed M Taylor Ide be curious to learn and could tell the owners all about it. I have his records. Regards Rudyard

I guessed Belgium by the proofs on the barrel but I also thought they were a modern shotgun set from a double gun that was adapted. The barrels are extremely heavy and nicely blued where as the rest of the shotgun looks much older.
I'll get more pictures and there isn't any reliable information on the guns background

Thank you Dan

Back