• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on 1858 Remington revolving Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried asking this on other forum but will try it here…was considering getting the 1858 revolving carbine and would like to hear from those who have them. I understand keeping my support hand behind the cylinder but, do these spit cap pieces, sparks, powder, etc. back into the shooter’s face? Anyone use it for hunting?

I do have one and yes sometimes you may get a cap fragment graze your cheek but your having sooooo much fun shooting it, it doesn't even bother you. Its one of my favorite to shoot but that's just my opinion. I'll buy another if I see one at a good price.

Attachments

• IMG_3197.mov
    3.6 MB
Nice video. From what I’m reading, 900fps+ with 200-230gr bullet is what some folks are getting using 25gr of 3f powder. How was the accuracy day to 100yrds?

I acually have not shot it to 100yds but @ 50yds it was spot on!! The range I was at was only about 75yds.......I need a new range Hahahaha. I was shooting RB but next time I do want to try some of my cast Johnston & Dow conicals from era's gone. I was running 30g of 777 FFFg

I’ve looked longingly at these for years. I’m less than impressed with the reported ballistics , usually not a great deal more “power” than is available from the standard 8” pistol barrel. However, if tuned and cleaned up, specifically the forcing cone and a very tight end shake spec is obtained, maybe they’re capable of much better velocity and power. Then if they’re good for 2” at 50 yards, you’ll really have something…

I have used both the cap and cartridge version reproduction carbines and found them to be fun to shoot but unfortunately, inaccurate . I believe the original ones would make a great collector item but the modern versions are, in my opinion , a waste of powder, caps , lead and money .

Tried asking this on other forum but will try it here…was considering getting the 1858 revolving carbine and would like to hear from those who have them. I understand keeping my support hand behind the cylinder but, do these spit cap pieces, sparks, powder, etc. back into the shooter’s face? Anyone use it for hunting?

So Remington first started producing these in the summer of 1865, but barrels were from 24" to 28", and when they produced an 18" barrel version, it was in cartridge form, not cap-n-ball, at least from what I've read. So these just "squeak" under the 1865 cut-off, and this variation may be right up there with brass framed Confederate Navy .44 revolvers...

Anyway here's another vid on the carbine. Remington Revolving Carbine

LD

Last edited:
I have and shoot one. a lot of fun for shooting off hand. it is accurate at 50 yards. I don't shoot it further than that because ii still need a lot of practice off hand at 100. you will get stuff blown at your face so I wear a bandana and safety glasses. I have found colt style guns with a shoulder stock are not as bad about caps and gas to the face.

Back