• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Those pesky Pedersoli Patent (Breeches)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It amazes me, the number of individuals on this site that would argue about ANYTHING.
It's just a simple suggestion of one way to do what has been asked on this board dozens of times on how to go about it.
And of course - there are so many here that (in their own minds at least) have THE one and only way of doing something.
And nobody else in the whole world is as intelligent and authoritative as they are.
Zonie, I was not commenting on what type of breech was best, or what the ULTIMATE AND IRREFUTABLE METHOD was the best.
It was just a simple suggestion I found worked well for me to have a clean and dry breech before going to shoot one of my favorite guns.
But of course - the intellectual giants here were unable to understand that.

35 seconds is not what I deem "difficult" to clean the barrel oil out of the breech before a shoot. It ain't rocket science.
You spent more time trying to tell me how YOU would do it than what it actually takes to run a q-tip down the barrel and swab the breech out.

Argue about anything?
No we won't!😁

But about those pesky breeches, some are of smaller inside diameter than others and some are of a less desirable geometry, more difficult to keep clear than others. Aint it always a matter of playing the hand you got.

I buy multiple gun cleaning kits of the same kind. Some kits have steel cleaning rods, some brass and some aluminum. Have even made some rods over the years. I screw enough sections together from multiple kits to reach the bottom of the barrel. Over the years have learned lessons the hard way about getting things out of the patent breech chambers. Like the end of cheap brushes etc. I'm not a fan of the patent breech design. I have learned it is a lot of work but I can get them apart and back together. Still dont like them but I do like the q tip suggestion. Tried it and it works just like Griz44Mag shows. Thank You Sir.

All of my small brushes are 8-32 thread and none of my 8/32 threaded rods will reach the bottom of my long rifles bore.
The Dixie and the Frontier both have VERY long barrels and patent breeches.
There's a place called Ft Chambers Muzzleloaders outside Lancaster. He sells an assortment of brass /Jagg extensions in both rod diameter and calibers. All seem to be about 6" long. I bought three for both of my brass range rods in .45, .50 and .58. my brass range rods were either too long or too short without them.

Griz, I was not arguing with you or saying my way is the only way just discussing how I do it and trying to understand your way, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers and if I did then I apologize.

Here's another way to skin the cat. I use a .22 bore brush with a patch wrapped around it to clean the breech, followed by one with alcohol, then one with Barricade. Easy and seems to work well.

Some are 2 tiered. Before cleaning pic of TC Big Boar basement.
usbcamera20201121111417.jpg

I use a patch wrapped .22 bore brush also to clean the patent breech and it works well for me.

Additionally, I wrap the .22 bore brush with a .22 rifle cleaning patch when I swab out the patent breech.

When range shooting, I typically use a .54 caliber circle fly wad underneath a patched ball when I shoot my Pedersoli Mortimer flintlock rifle.

I load powder first, followed by the wad and THEN I will swab the bore with a damp patch in between shots - to the top of the wad - while on the range.

I do it in this manner to avoid ramming fouling into the patent breech.

Typically, I run a patch wrapped .22 bore brush into the patent breech after 20 shots or so to insure it remains clear enough to shoot.

There's a place called Ft Chambers Muzzleloaders outside Lancaster. He sells an assortment of brass /Jagg extensions in both rod diameter and calibers. All seem to be about 6" long. I bought three for both of my brass range rods in .45, .50 and .58. my brass range rods were either too long or too short without them.
I had October Country make some brass rod extensions for me - one of the best small investments I have made. 4" and 6" so my range rod now reaches whatever I take to the range. And very reasonable for a custom length extension. I did buy the heavy duty rod from them in the first place - so the extensions are a perfect match. I love the wire wrapped handle on their rods. Functional and darn good looking too!

In near 30years of muzzleloading I ain't ever cleaned such a breech and neither do I care or worry.
I only have one gun with such a breech. Think I've owned it for 7 years. Never cleaned the breech. Works just fine.
So since you don't have a dog in this thread and don't clean your guns as diligently as I do -why do you even bother to comment? It adds nothing to the thread. I - and many others here - like to clean their guns.

So since you don't have a dog in this thread and don't clean your guns as diligently as I do -why do you even bother to comment? It adds nothing to the thread. I - and many others here - like to clean their guns.
Owch, lol

So, I have been trying a few different things to get the patent breech on a Pedersoli clean.
Small jags, patches on split rings or even a patch worm turned backward.
So today I did this.
View attachment 52669
I screwed a q-tip into the end of a rod with 10-32 threads - dang - that works.
Dipped it in cleaner and slid it down the barrel.
Took out the liner just to make sure it was reaching the bottom of Alice's hole....

View attachment 52670
All I see in the bottom of the liner hole is Q-tip.
That works like a charm!
A little spin and the channel is clean as a whistle! (Anyone know where that saying came from?)

LOVE that Grizz, thanks! Going to try that with my Hawken.

Because I can sir. I believe in free speech and expression if not offensive.
I feel sorry you think differently.
Maybe you can petition for some new rules.

Back