• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson TC problem and solution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redmoon

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've seen the problem before and thought I'd share what I did for the solution.
So I keep an eye on the local classifieds for cheap or broken muzzleloaders. I take them and go through each one, make any necessary repairs, maybe add some wire or plate inlays etc. Anyway I was working on a Thompson 50 cal Hawken rifle and I was running a brush down the barrel and got to the bottom and it didn't want to pull back up so I put by back into it and pop... the brush broke off at the bottom of the barrel... one doesn't simply pull the breech plug off a thompson, even with the special wrench your odds of doing it is pretty slim. So I tried unsuccessfully (twice) and defeated I threw the barrel aside and moved on. A few weeks later I was complaining to my wife and she said why can't you put something around the brush down the barrel and pull it out? So I jump up and grab a long piece of 3/8 brass tube I had in the shop, dropped it down the barrel gave it a light whack with a mallet and pulled it up brush in tow! So I hope this helps someone down the road and big shout out to my beautiful genius of a wife!

Back