• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thompson Seneca. 36 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't touched it in years but am dragging out my Seneca in .36 cal.

Seams like last time I used it it had some minor pitting in the barrel.

Can I get an aftermarket barrel in .36 cal for this? I seem to remember that aftermarket barrels have wider barrels than what Thompson put on the Seneca.

Can I bore the barrel to 45? Is that too much for the stock?

Thanks,
Bob

Before going the new barrel or Bobby Hoyt route try shooting it and see how well it shoots. Minor pitting may not hurt it much other than being a little harder to clean.

Im going to take it shooting tomorrow. Some thoughts.........

Is 3f going to be best over 2f in this small bore? If i can use 3f then i only have to buy one powder for this and my pistols.

Am thinking of making this a .45 cal as a one rifle only thing. Fear the man with one rifle they say.

Would like to darkin the finish, can that be done without removing the finish.

I want to add peep sights, any around?

I want to checker wood at the forend and thin part of stock. Is that expensive?

Im going to take it shooting tomorrow. Some thoughts.........

Is 3f going to be best over 2f in this small bore? If i can use 3f then i only have to buy one powder for this and my pistols.

Am thinking of making this a .45 cal as a one rifle only thing. Fear the man with one rifle they say.

Would like to darkin the finish, can that be done without removing the finish.

I want to add peep sights, any around?

I want to checker wood at the forend and thin part of stock. Is that expensive?
3F is recommended. Probably start at 15 or 20 grains. 60 grains is TC max recommended load for a roundball and Maxiball. For reference, in my 32 I use 12-15 grains of 3F Swiss under a roundball and find it about an inch high at 25 yards, maybe an inch low at 50.

Peep sights are out there. TC peep sights are pricy when found.

If your gun is in good shape, you may not want to molest the wood. You may like customizing it, but it will likely decrease gun’s value. But it is your gun.

I would suggest you try shooting the gun as is for a bit before jumping in and changing things. As a FYI, barrels come up for sale fairly often. If the 36 caliber shoots well I would leave it as is and start the search for a 45 if that’s what you want. But again, it’s your gun.

Peep sights are out there. TC peep sights are pricy when found.

As a FYI, barrels come up for sale fairly often. If the 36 caliber shoots well I would leave it as is and start the search for a 45 if that’s what you want.

If anybody knows where to find either please let me know.

Can I use 3f in .45 cal or is that big enough bore to move up to 2f?

If anybody knows where to find either please let me know.

Can I use 3f in .45 cal or is that big enough bore to move up to 2f?
Powder granulation choice comes down to what works best for you in your gun. I typically use 3F in most of my guns. From 32 to 62 caliber rifles, pistols and 12 gauge shotguns. Some others have good success with 2F and 1F in a variety of guns and calibers. Can’t tell you what will work he’s for you. You have to shoot your gun to find out. General rule of thumb is 3F for 45 caliber and 2F for 50 and above. At best a generic guideline, no hard and fast rules in my opinion.

I have seen both rear peep sights and .45 barrels on ebay but always super expensive and for some reason Senneca parts seem to demand a premium on that site. Also, you will need a tang with the threaded hole for the peep sight. Have a look but be prepared for the sticker shock.
ThreeCrows

I have the same rifle that you have. My best load with a prb is 30 grn 3f. It's a short range small game rifle and that load will kill all small game. Personally I wouldn't alter the rifle in any way if it shoots well. They don't make those anymore and they are a desirable collectable presently. Enjoy the gun.

The rebore of a .36 Seneca to .45 would IME make a $650 rifle into a $350 rifle, since the .32 & .36 cal Cherokee/Senecas are both hard to find and dear to purchase when found.

(FWIW, I sold my pristine .36 Seneca two years ago for $675)

I bought a Cherokee a month or so ago. It had a tang peep sight on it. I didn’t like it so I bought fiber optic front and rear sights. I’m happy with that. Older eyes needed something lol.
BF6E11F5-57DD-49BE-90C6-FF0AACEEC90A.jpeg

Back