• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thompson percussion rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to try to add a pic of my .50 ca. T/C Renegade kit rifle I built 35 years ago, still shoot great and is a 100 yard bullseye hitter.........
TC-Renegade Kit.JPG

Looks a lot like mine lock. Is that a T/C Renegade by some chance?

Recently I had three Renegades in my possession; the 50 cal kit I built 35 years ago, a factory 50 cal my uncle gave me and the 54 cal. that is/was my oldest son's, the 54 kicks like a mule with 90 gr. of 2F Pyrodex.....Love It!! I gave the kit to my youngest grandson and the one my uncle gave me to my youngest son. My cousin gave me a .50 cal. CVA Bobcat last summer that needed some work, which I did then gave it to my oldest grandson. Gave away three muzzleloaders in about two months. Shoot, I'm 71, disabled and don't know how much longer I can do this so I figured "Why hoard them, you can't take them with you." Besides, they are still in the family, that's what counts!

I would like a Hawken with really nice to way above average wood, but have never run across one. The ones that I have are just average wood.

I do have a Seneca .32 from the Custom shop that has fantastic wood with fine bluing.

@ Nutnfancy Thats great that you're passing them on.
The picture is the lock on my .45 TC Hawken style rifle. The case hardening colors are exceptionally vivid.

I would like a Hawken with really nice to way above average wood, but have never run across one. The ones that I have are just average wood.

I do have a Seneca .32 from the Custom shop that has fantastic wood with fine bluing.
Is there anything that indicates that a rifle came from the TC custom shop? My Hawkens wood is plain Jane, just a nice lock, but I have a .36 Seneca that has very nice wood and better bluing. It's an early one with a 4 digit serial # and no warning written on it.

When you see the wood and the quality of the finish on the wood you can tell it is not a stock production T/C and the bluing rivals any modern Browning gun.

"Favorite is a Hawken .45 with a 15/16' barrel. I changed the barrel out to a .45 Green Mountain barrel and it has proven to be a winner on the off hand line. The 15/16" Hawkens handle better than 1" barrels, better balanced and lighter."

Along with the above change I did tinker with it a bit more.

I removed the under rib and thimbles to drop the weight a miniscule amount and clean up the look. I changed the trigger out to the Davis Deer Slayer and polished it before putting in the rifle. The lock was taken apart and polished.

I found a T/C Contender Silhouette Rear sight and had the bottom milled flat so it would fit on the octagon barrel. The great part of these sights is that they have numbered knurled knob on the top which allows you to change the elevation and then go back to where you started. They are no longer made and the last time I saw one for sale was in 2006 and they wanted $265 for it.

Front sight was changed out to a Lyman Globe.

For the most part, folks have tinkered with T/C's so much, it is hard to find one which has not been altered.

The T/C Renegades I have dealt with have had Walnut stocks, the factory usually stains them sort of dark. Personally, I like to see the grain and any figure that is in the wood, that's why I used High Speed Linseed oil finish on mine, to slightly darken the wood but also bring out the grain.

Is the barrel on the .50 Renegade the same 28" 15/16" 1-48" as was used on the .50 Hawken?

T/C,s are great until you wear out the barrel and or break a lock part.
then you will truly learn...dont get me wrong but you can turn many of these into a fine shooter...homework required.
SM

Last edited:
I tried to shoulder one once, and the very straight stock prevented me from getting a sight picture. Not for folks over 6 feet tall, IMO. I bought a Browning Mountain Rifle because the stock had the right drop and length of pull for me to hit something with it. So what if it was heavy? Eat your Wheaties and Cowboy Up! Tinhorn

Latest posts

Back