• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thompson Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking at some muzzleloaders to enter this sport. I already collect C&R rifles, so I'm not new to used rifles, but I am new to blackpowder.
I found a used Mowry at a pawnshop. They want $349.00, before negotiations. I just found out this rifle sold as a kit for about that price.
I also have an opportunity to buy a T/C Hawken that has been fired maybe 15 times and cleaned well after. I can buy the T/C for $100.00. It has a small scratch on the walnut stock under the comb and a little brass needs to be polished.
I really would like a longrifle, like the Kentucky or Pennsylvania (I don't know enough to know what I want).
Is the Thompson too good of a deal to pass up?
Thanks,
Jim

If it's in the condition you described, buy all you can at that price...if you don't want it, give me the contact info and I'll buy it.
The average selling price on auctions for a TC Hawken percussion in that condition is usually in the $250-$300 range depending on condition, amount of figure in the stock wood, etc...add another $25-ish if it's a flintlock.

From all of the ML guns I've seen on the market, there still, after over 30years in this sport, aren't any production long rifles worthy of sitting in my cabinet.
: There is a worthy 1/2 stock, but it's a GPR in flint or perc. The flinter needs the replacement lock from TRACK to be suitable, in my opinon. Opinions differ, of course.
: Quibbling over $100.00 one way or the other, is either just bragging at a suspected super deal, or perhaps something else - but what?
: I've never seen a descent rifle for less than what the GPR's cost. In this country, it's around $500.00 give or take a couple $, for a finished gun.

Like roundball said, get the Hawkins... Thompson Center is a great rifle, and the Hawkins is their top of the line. You can also get other barrels that will fit the hawkins and make it do about anything you want it to do....

That is a great deal. I know nothing about the Mowery rifle... Not even sure if I ever held one. Possible at some of the shoots and rendevouse I have been to, but I would not swear to it..

For $100.00 buy it and don't look back. If the barrel turns out to have issues (rust, pitting etc.) you can replace it with a Green Mountain drop in barrel for around $150. to $175. more. All the rest of the gun is covered by T/C's lifetime warranty.

I picked it up today. I'll look at the bore tomorrow, but the muzzle looks clean, as does the nipple.
I'll post pics by this weekend.
Jim

Back