• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thompson Hawken - Gunsmith needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intervention

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good gunsmith with experience with Hawken rifles, to drill and thread the tang for a Tompson Peep Sight. I could do it, probably but I don't want to Billy Bob my rifle.

I have the Tang and Sight ready to send off (I don't have the forward screw for the sight.

Thank you

Tang.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

IMO, it's easier to do than you think. Find a screw that just fits the hole in the sight, and secure the two pieces together on a block of wood (or clamp in a vise). Get a drill bit that is just small enough to fit the other sight hole and use it to drill a locator "dent" into the tang. Take it all apart and finish the hole with the correct sized drill. You can tap the hole in the tang for a machine screw or do a thru hole for a wood screw (decide which method before you drill the hole). You'd be amazed how close you can get with this hole drilling method.

I see you are in the Los Angeles area. Would think you could find a machine shop nearby. Tell them you need a hole spotted and tapped in piece of mild steel. Shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. And they may not charge you anything for doing it, and if they do it shouldn’t be much more than postage would cost. Or do it yourself as @akaMOTU described in the previous post.

TC used an 8 x 32 screw for the forward screw.countersunk and oval-headed. about 1/4 inch long.

Back