• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Set Trigger setting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The set trigger setting on my TC Hawkin does not adjust. No matter how much I screw the adjusting screw in or out the trigger that maker the gun go off is such a hair trigger that I feel the gun is not safe. If I do not set the trigger the trigger pull is very firm. Is there an easy solution? Thanks for the help. Ike

Well, you could bring it here to town,,
I'll fix it for ya,,
I had one once that the set screw was stripped an stuck in place, I remember cause I paid that smith at Gander when it was open to fix it.
Cost me $40 just to learn how !
(He was a good guy though,, gotta make a livin too)

Last edited:
@necchi has a good point about the threads on the set trigger adjustment screw. Is it moving in and out as the screw is turned?

Are the mating surfaces worn where the rear trigger lever is held by the front trigger lever?

The set trigger setting on my TC Hawkin does not adjust. No matter how much I screw the adjusting screw in or out the trigger that maker the gun go off is such a hair trigger that I feel the gun is not safe. If I do not set the trigger the trigger pull is very firm. Is there an easy solution? Thanks for the help. Ike
Not sure that what follows helps, but here is a description of how I adjust my TC and similar set triggers. Apologize that the photographs are not the greatest.

In the first photograph the arrow is pointing at the screw that will adjust the amount of tension on the rear trigger. You can back this screw off to reduce the amount of force to ‘set’ the trigger, but you still need enough tension or force to trip the sear lever on the lock. Once you have found the minimum force required (trial and error adjustment of the screw), tighten the screw a half to a full turn (safety margin). Confirm it is still satisfactory, and then you may want to lock it in place with something like nail polish (I use red so I can easily see it). Make sure the trigger is fully lock into place in the stock when testing its function. If it is lose or out of position it will perform different.
1655416622420.jpeg

To adjust the ‘hair’ trigger, with trigger assembly out of the gun, set the trigger and turn the screw between the triggers until the trigger pops. Then back off the screw a minimum of a half turn, though I would suggest a full turn for safety reasons. Lock in place with nail polish.
1655417142073.jpeg

That adjustment screw is supposed to adjusted with the rifle at half cock. This relieves pressure and allows the screw to turn. If it was adjusted with hammer down, there is a good possibility that it has been stripped, as was mentioned above. If you put the hammer in the half cock position, turn the screw in or out to check for stripping. I believe that the factory setting was all the way in and then backed of 1.5 turns. The farther “in” you adjust the screw, the lighter the trigger. A cleaning would probably do it wonders and you could inspect for damage and/or any shims that shouldn’t be there. (Some guys put shins in there to make the hair trigger go off when the wind blows).
Worst case scenario, there are locks for sale all over the place.

*** I didn’t see it until after I posted, but SDSmls gave ya what you need to know.

DO NOT adjust the triggers with the rifle on half-cock! That is what breaks tumblers. At one time TC recommended to adjust them this way but quit when they saw the amount of warranty work they were doing on locks with broken half-cock notches.

Well, you could bring it here to town,,
I'll fix it for ya,,
I had one once that the set screw was stripped an stuck in place, I remember cause I paid that smith at Gander when it was open to fix it.
Cost me $40 just to learn how !
(He was a good guy though,, gotta make a livin too)
Can't beat that offer.

DO NOT adjust the triggers with the rifle on half-cock! That is what breaks tumblers. At one time TC recommended to adjust them this way but quit when they saw the amount of warranty work they were doing on locks with broken half-cock notches.
Interesting comment. Never gave that any thought. Have two TCs. Both have been adjusted many times but I never considered whether I was doing it a rest, half or full cock. Nebber a problem.

Back