• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thompson Center Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbcasterlin

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I just picked up a Thompson Center .50 Hawken (flintlock) in nice condition for $400 from my local gun store that is going out of business. It was an impulse buy, I hope I did ok...

I just picked up a Thompson Center .50 Hawken (flintlock) in nice condition for $400 from my local gun store that is going out of business. It was an impulse buy, I hope I did ok...

Youd have to post a pic, but just going by the market you did really good. On an auction site they were bringing 700 plus a month ago. Lots of variables though. Was it a kit gun or factory finished? Did you look down the bore?

The story of Ben Franklin and his whistle has two different conclusions. If you do not remember the story it goes: When Ben Franklin was a boy he got ten cents for his birthday as he was on his way to the store to buy something he saw another boy with a tin whistle, he wanted the whistle so he paid the boy his ten cents for the whistle and went home happy until his older brother told him he could have bought three tin whistles at the store for his dime. His moral of the story was not to pay too much for your whistle. My version is that he was happy with his purchase until some one told him he had paid too much . So if you are happy with your purchase it doesn't matter what other people think about what you paid. While I paid only two hundred for my flintlock T.C. they were not considered valuable in our area once in lines were available. Now people are realizing they have a place in our sport.

T/C flinters are a pretty rare find...especially if they have the original thompson lock.

The parts alone on that unit are worth far more than you paid for it.

I have 3 old tc hawkens...love them all...i saw my first one at age 16 working in a gun shop in 1971...fell in love then,and still am.

They hunt great...are reliable,and made in the us of a!

Attachments

• 20200814_064709.jpg
    20200814_064709.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 104
The story of Ben Franklin and his whistle has two different conclusions. If you do not remember the story it goes: When Ben Franklin was a boy he got ten cents for his birthday as he was on his way to the store to buy something he saw another boy with a tin whistle, he wanted the whistle so he paid the boy his ten cents for the whistle and went home happy until his older brother told him he could have bought three tin whistles at the store for his dime. His moral of the story was not to pay too much for your whistle. My version is that he was happy with his purchase until some one told him he had paid too much . So if you are happy with your purchase it doesn't matter what other people think about what you paid. While I paid only two hundred for my flintlock T.C. they were not considered valuable in our area once in lines were available. Now people are realizing they have a place in our sport.
Whats old is new again. Glad I hung onto my stuff.

You did fine. Sorry to hear about that gun store. Unfortunately, that is all too common these days.
It is sad...it was only a mile down the road for me. I have known the owner for about 25 years.

Youd have to post a pic, but just going by the market you did really good. On an auction site they were bringing 700 plus a month ago. Lots of variables though. Was it a kit gun or factory finished? Did you look down the bore?
I'll have to post some pics. I did look down the bore and it looked good. The frizzen didn't have any pitting, I don't think it was fired more than a few times.

And when you find a TC barrel that someone neglected the bore, just consider it a jewel in the rough, ready to be turned into something beautiful.

The T/C Hawken is one of highest quality Smokepoles of its time...You did great.

I have wanted one for a long time. I think it was Christmas 1979, My ex brother-in-law and I both received muzzleloader kits. He got the T/C Hawken and I got the CVA Mountain Rifle. I finished the CVA kit and still hunt with it to this day.

I had the chance to buy a pristine factory built TC Hawken Flint unfired for $300. Im still kicking myself.
That's why I bought this one. It's a bad time for me right now, I have been going through a nasty divorce since September 2019 but I couldn't pass this one up.

Bought a TC Hawken percussion, 50 cal. new in the box for $400 from gun broker last year. At the time I thought it was a bit high but I wanted it. Now it doesn't seem so bad.

I bought mine for less but it is a kit gun and the stock finishing is a little .. primitive, never smoothed the brass work etc. Shoots fine and straight but I always planned on remaking the stock myself anyway. I have a piece of black walnut from the back yard that's almost seasoned long enough to cut up. We'll see if I can do a better job than the guy I bought it from.
Like was said in an earlier reply, the parts are worth that. Shoot it and be happy in the smoke.

Back