• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thompson Center Hawken question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deals are are there for sure, but they are getting fewer and farther between. You got a great deal 🍻

Since I've been looking around over the last year or so, the prices right here on this forum are usually the best that I see.
I knew it was a great deal when I saw it. I have shot it in competition matches and took first place and fourth place in two different matches. I plan to take it deer hunting soon.

What's crazy is that 5-10 years ago they were sitting on gun shop shelves collecting dust at $200 when the in-line boom was at its peak and nobody cared about traditional ones. My T-C Hawken .50 percussion was given to me in about 2001 because a guy had it, no longer shot it, knew he probably couldn't sell it for much, and knew I would shoot it and enjoy it.
Prices for everything are inflated now. But if you want it, offer him $450 cash and don't look back.

It's probably not a good comparison since I am in Canada, but yesterday, I received a T/C Hawken .50cal flintlock in great condition (barrel 100%, wood 90%) for $400cdn (approx $300usd) plus $50 shipping. I would have paid $100 more without blinking.

What's crazy is that 5-10 years ago they were sitting on gun shop shelves collecting dust at $200 when the in-line boom was at its peak and nobody cared about traditional ones. My T-C Hawken .50 percussion was given to me in about 2001 because a guy had it, no longer shot it, knew he probably couldn't sell it for much, and knew I would shoot it and enjoy it.
Prices for everything are inflated now. But if you want it, offer him $450 cash and don't look back.
Thats a fact. Doesn't seem very long ago my LGS would occasionally have an old TC on the rack for even less than $200. Hind sight, along with being 20-20, it's a female dog

I'm not saying I got the best price in about 1976 when I bought my T/C .50 caplock Hawken for $204.00 (plus whatever sales tax was back then) but an internet source suggests adjusted for inflation my $204.00 is valued at $1,025.00 in 2022.

If you find a nice T/C Hawken for $500 today it's probably a pretty fair deal, what you need to assess is what are the chances of finding an equal or better for that price before you start bickering over a 10% (or whatever) adjustment in price, I wouldn't.

I'm fortunate to have a pretty fair stable of muzzleloaders including my first, that $204 T/C Hawken circa 1976. Believe me, I've received a heck of a lot of enjoyment out of that investment. It's still a good shooter.

I'm not saying I got the best price in about 1976 when I bought my T/C .50 caplock Hawken for $204.00 (plus whatever sales tax was back then) but an internet source suggests adjusted for inflation my $204.00 is valued at $1,025.00 in 2022.

If you find a nice T/C Hawken for $500 today it's probably a pretty fair deal, what you need to assess is what are the chances of finding an equal or better for that price before you start bickering over a 10% (or whatever) adjustment in price, I wouldn't.

I'm fortunate to have a pretty fair stable of muzzleloaders including my first, that $204 T/C Hawken circa 1976. Believe me, I've received a heck of a lot of enjoyment out of that investment. It's still a good shooter.
That is a sobering, but accurate way to look at it.

I agree with @TDM .

I can also tell you that if you are looking for a new, ready-made custom plains rifle, prices start around $2,000 now, and move north from there.

T/C muzzleloaders are not exactly “PC,” but they are robust, well built guns, good shooters, and easy to maintain. My only issue with them is when folks try to pass them off as authentic reproductions. I have a couple of T/Cs and like them a lot, as shooters.

I’m with the crowd who would advise the OP to buy the rifle and not look back.

Notchy Bob

I agree with @TDM .

I can also tell you that if you are looking for a new, ready-made custom plains rifle, prices start around $2,000 now, and move north from there.

T/C muzzleloaders are not exactly “PC,” but they are robust, well built guns, good shooters, and easy to maintain. My only issue with them is when folks try to pass them off as authentic reproductions. I have a couple of T/Cs and like them a lot, as shooters.

I’m with the crowd who would advise the OP to buy the rifle and not look back.

Notchy Bob
I'm a complete greenhorn when it comes to PC rifles. But I hold the TCs in the same high regard as you. I always thought their Hawken was a faithful repro of the originals, but after hanging around here I've learned that isn't the case. But that doesn't mean I dislike it one bit. 🙂

I'm a complete greenhorn when it comes to PC rifles. But I hold the TCs in the same high regard as you. I always thought their Hawken was a faithful repro of the originals, but after hanging around here I've learned that isn't the case. But that doesn't mean I dislike it one bit. 🙂
I don't think it's a faithful repo by any means,but what it is
, is a well built modern percussion rifle. It cleans up very easily and will last a long time. If you want authenticity it ain't it,it is overbuilt and strong. I have rifles much closer to what the originals were and I have some Thompson Center rifles,I like both categories.

i sold guns for twenty years. I have seen exactly two T/C flintlocks in that time. I own one of them. This will give you an idea of how unusual it is to find one... especially in .45. I say grab it quick and hope he doesn't raise the price and/or sell it before you get there.

Mine is a .50 caliber flintlock. I would not sell it that cheaply.

i sold guns for twenty years. I have seen exactly two T/C flintlocks in that time. I own one of them. This will give you an idea of how unusual it is to find one... especially in .45. I say grab it quick and hope he doesn't raise the price and/or sell it before you get there.

Mine is a .50 caliber flintlock. I would not sell it that cheaply.
I work part-time in a gun store. Last year a fellow came in trying to sell a T/C 54 caliber flintlock. The store didn't want the gun. (The store owners don't like black powder guns.) The fellow then offered it to one of my co-workers. He kept dropping the price and finally my co-worker bought it for $100.00. YES --- $100.00. The gun is in great shape too.

i have a .50 TC flint and a GM .54 barrel to match. i don't think i could be talked out of it for 500.
i know for certain i wouldn't let go of a .45 for that.
now that said they were also plagued with soft frizzens. and sometimes bad geometry between the cock and frizzen. both conditions can be corrected. my TC flinter wouldn't spark no matter if i prayed over it or cursed it.
the cock was such that with even a 1 inch flint it would only hit the bottom 1/4 of the frizzen. and the frizzen, being so soft it just made a gouge.
bent the cock, hardened the face of the frizzen using totw's compound and today i would take a $1000 bet on it sparking 100 out of 100 times.

I work part-time in a gun store. Last year a fellow came in trying to sell a T/C 54 caliber flintlock. The store didn't want the gun. (The store owners don't like black powder guns.) The fellow then offered it to one of my co-workers. He kept dropping the price and finally my co-worker bought it for $100.00. YES --- $100.00. The gun is in great shape too.
Yeah, my boss hated black powder guns as well. This worked out pretty good for a while. While there I assembled most of the "Dirty Dozen", which consist of 10 T/C guns, a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle in .54 and a single unmentionable by Austin & Halleck.

Y'know, I doubled his money on just about every muzzleloader the store took in, but he still hates muzzleloaders. He's got a nice looking T/C Hawken .54 up there missing the rear sight. I might have to go see him about that some day....

I have been looking for a muzzleloader for some time now. Stopped in my local shop as I usually do twice a month and saw that he had a flintlock rifle on the rack. It is a .45 Caliber Thompson Center Hawken with a 29"x15/16" barrel at least that is what is said on the tag. It is very clean inside and out, I was even allowed to look down it with a borescope. Previous owner said it had been fired 15 times before he won a T/C Big Bore .58 at a Sporting Event and never used it again. I would give it a 9/10 only because its been fired before. It sparks well, and has no areas of rusting. The shop is asking $500 for it and I wanted to know if it is too much ? I have taken interest in a .45 Caliber Flintlock Rifle and T/C rifles I really only see in .50 caliber. I assume I can buy other flintlock barrels in the future for this rifle to go up or down in caliber. Thanks to all who reply.
It is a fair price in today world. IMHO

Never been to a gunshop in my life where the price on the tag was the price. It is worth it but knock him down as far as you can. Good luck.
I know several shops that absolutely do not reduce prices. it is what it is.

I bought a rough looking TC Hawken stock with everything but the barrel for $200, I refinished the stock and fixed all the flaws. I bought a new GM drop-in barrel for it for $310. I have $510 and a bunch of work in the gun, it looks better than new.

$500 for the flintlock doesn't seem out of line to me, one check of the inflation calculator for the initial sale price in the 70s or 80s will fall right in line with today's prices.

We used to buy TC Renegades on sale from Ron Shirks shooters Supply in the early 70s for $90, the inflation calculator says that $90 would be $570 today. On a whim I just checked to see if the same place is still in business and it is.

I would buy it! I have a .45 Caliber Thompson Center Hawken flint lock. Its in excellent condition and is a very well built kit gun dating back in the mid late 70's. It's very reliable and fun to shoot. Five Franklin's... is worth it I would think.

Attachments

• IMG_E5402.JPG
    IMG_E5402.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5594(1).mov
    12.8 MB
Back