thompson center cherokee

Discussion in 'Percussion Rifles' started by shdwlkr, Jul 10, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jul 10, 2019 #1

shdwlkr

shdwlkr

shdwlkr

40 Cal.

My hammer will not stay at full cock and I stuck wondering how to correct this issue. Lock looks right but will not stay at full cock either in or out of rifle. Ideas of what to look for? Oh it is one of the .45 caliber ones if that makes any difference

2. Jul 10, 2019 #2

Grimord

Grimord

Grimord

Fyrstyk MLF Supporter

Check to see if the screws holding the springs are tightened too much. If so, back them out just a whisker. That may correct the problem. If not, look to see if the full cock notch on the tumbler is broke.

3. Jul 10, 2019 #3

shdwlkr

shdwlkr

shdwlkr

40 Cal.

How do you know if the full cock notch on the tumbler is broke, sorry just never had this issue before so I am learning

4. Jul 10, 2019 #4

BullRunBear

BullRunBear

BullRunBear

45 Cal.

The Cherokee has an adjustable trigger. If screwed in too much to lighten the trigger pull, it might not hold on full cock. (I have a vague memory of doing that once many years ago.) It would be simple to check. Hope this helps.

Jeff

5. Jul 11, 2019 #5

bubba.50

bubba.50

bubba.50

54 Cal.

There are no screws holdin’ the springs on a T/C lock. While you’re checkin’ to see if the full cock notch is okay check to be sure the screws in the little metal plate holdin’ the tumbler in place are tight. Don’t know why but they are notorious for coming loose which allows the tumbler to kinda flop around and not work right.

6. Jul 11, 2019 #6

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

I think it's worth adding that the screw that the sear rotates on must never be fully tightened. If it is, the sear won't move freely and that can keep it from entering the full cock notch.

Figuring shdwlkr might not know what the sear is, when the lock is out of the stock you will see an arm sticking out away from the interior of the lock plate.
    That is part of the sear and it's sticking out so the trigger blade can push against it to fire the gun.
    That sear must be able to freely move against the spring pressure that is trying to shove the nose of the sear into the full and half cock notches in the tumbler.
    If it is gummed up with dry oil or as I mentioned, if someone has tightened it up too tight it can't move like it should.

While your in there looking at the interior of the lock, look at the tumbler. That's the thing that rotates with the hammer.
    It will have two different notches cut across its face. One has a hook that the sear can slip behind. That is the half cock notch. The other cut is the full cock notch. Look closely at it. It should have a sharp edge where it meets the outside of the tumbler. If it is rounded off, that is the reason your gun won't stay fully cocked.

Let us know what you find.

7. Jul 11, 2019 #7

Grimord

Grimord

Grimord

Fyrstyk MLF Supporter

Zonie said it better than I did. The screw I was mentioning was the one that holds the bridle. I forgot about the trigger adjustment screw. That would be the first place I check.

8. Jul 11, 2019 #8

Boomerang

Boomerang

Boomerang

40 Cal.

It cant be the trigger adjustment screw if it won't stay cocked out of the rifle.

9. Jul 19, 2019 at 12:46 AM #9

shdwlkr

shdwlkr

shdwlkr

40 Cal.

Well I got a new tumbler and it looks the same as the one in my lock, so now I have ordered another part.See below and hope this fixes issue.
    upload_2019-7-18_17-45-43.png

10. Jul 19, 2019 at 1:36 AM #10

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019 at 1:48 AM