• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Cal 50 Kit barrels versus Thompson Center Hawken non-kit barrels.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
back in 1975 my wife got me a Thompson center .50cal. hawken kit for christmas. the barrel came unfinished and all hardware was brass. didn''t jot down the number but sent the barrel back to Thompson in 1985 and received a new barrel that came blued. I broke a tap off in the clean out hole on the original barrel and couldn't get it out. new barrel had no clean out plug.

Gents, in 1979 I bought a T/C Renegade kit in .54 cal. I changed the trigger guard to a Hawken style (iron) and added a nose cap and inlet pipe. I browned everything except the lock plate.
It has always been an excellent shooter, since I started using Dutch's System in 1980.
Phil

To all that have helped,

Got the K barrel today. I'll have to admit that I was happy with the purchase. As it turns out, the barrel is 15/16 across the flats. The bore is excellent, it has a mirror finish. I really do not believe this barrel has been shot. The length is 29 inches from the front of the barrel to the start of the breach hook. Its a j hook style and fit nicely into my stock. The thimbles are jet black over steel . I still don't know what this thing is but believe it will be a tack driver.

Cobra 6

I had to look at my T/C Hawken. I bought it as a kit in the early '80's. It is the .45 caliber model. I browned the barrel at the time I assembled the kit, just now noticed the 'K". It was lightly stuck and the browning helped to cover the K.
A friend has the Renegade model in .50 caliber and his rifle came with the black thimbles, which he changed out to brass. He had the barrel replaced after the nipple departed the threads in the snail. T/C replaced the barrel before they went under.

ord sgt,

Any idea the length of your friends Renegade .50 Cal? My K barrel is 29 inches front to beginning of the j hook. To what the above members are telling me, the Renegade is shorter than the Hawken? The black thimbles might have thrown me. There is no rhyme to reason when buying a kit. I think that I bought an unfired Hawken style barrel with Renegade thimbles. Thanks for the reply ord sgt.

Cobra 6

Last edited:
Back