• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center .56 cal Smoothbore ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphinator

36 Cl.
Reaction score
When I got off of work I headed to the gun shop up the street and took a look at the new muzzleloaders they got in. All were the brand new "suppository" rifles except for this old Thompson center. I knew of the Renegade .50,.54 and the few senecas i see on this forum but never a .56 smoothbore. Now here is my question, since this smoothbore is percussion and I'd rather have a flintlock is it easy to convert ? This same shop has a T/C Renegade Flintlock Stock and lock no barrel for sale as well as a lock by itself. Would it be as simple as removing the nipple and whatever that other piece is called and installing some sort of flintlock compatible touch hole ? It is a cool gun but I'd rather have it with a flintlock on it. If this isnt possible I'd like to know before I start jumping down the rabbit hole. Thanks to all who reply.

It's not hard to convert if you have a machine shop. You will need to buy or make a new flint breech plug, install, and finish it then use either a takeoff TC lock or an RPL lock from L&R. I have a Renegade I did that to, after getting it bored from 54 to 58 by Bobby Hoyt. I built it because I had almost zero money into the rifle due to the rusted out bore and a well equipped shop at my disposal. But otherwise I would not recommend doing that, if you need to pay someone to do it you'll have a lot invested and the TC flintlocks are far from the best design. There are much better ways to get yourself a good flintlock rifle.

Latest posts

Back