• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

This was my first and only "build/assemble/whatever" - CVA .45 cal. Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son was kind enough to take a picture of it and send it to me yesterday. He knows better than to bring it with him in a couple weeks, I'll steal it from him. It is a CVA .45 cal. Kentucky rifle. I believe another gentleman on the forum is building one from a kit he recently discovered. Mine is no raving beauty, I was the assembler, but I shot it for years and took it deer hunting at least twice. All we saw were does and at that time, doe tags were by lottery. All I ever shot with it was patched round balls, it was fairly accurate. Loved that thing, still do. I replaced the buckhorn sights with some from another rifle (unmentionable) that I had put a scope on. I am not a traditionalist. Anyway, there it is. Maybe I can talk him out of my old possibles bag, green river knife, and powder horn. Nah..........

210723-999  CVA 45 cal Kentucky - built in early 1980s.jpg

My son was kind enough to take a picture of it and send it to me yesterday. He knows better than to bring it with him in a couple weeks, I'll steal it from him. It is a CVA .45 cal. Kentucky rifle. I believe another gentleman on the forum is building one from a kit he recently discovered. Mine is no raving beauty, I was the assembler, but I shot it for years and took it deer hunting at least twice. All we saw were does and at that time, doe tags were by lottery. All I ever shot with it was patched round balls, it was fairly accurate. Loved that thing, still do. I replaced the buckhorn sights with some from another rifle (unmentionable) that I had put a scope on. I am not a traditionalist. Anyway, there it is. Maybe I can talk him out of my old possibles bag, green river knife, and powder horn. Nah..........

View attachment 86300
JamesA.
Nice job buddy. I built one near identical to it in 1977. Our oldest son commandeered mine. Wish I still had it. I shot competitively with it. It was a tack driver. I could nail a steel Buffalo Gong at 300 yards off hand every time and hold a 4" group at 100 yards. That was back when my eyes actually worked!! :thumb: ;) LOVED that rifle!!
Thanks for sharing.
God bless:
Two Feathers

View attachment 86300
You don't have to be a tradionalist to love shooting muzzleloaders...they are all fun. you did a nice job.

I have a question for the posters. What is the length of pull on these? My brother gave me one he didn't really care for. The LOP is barely 13". Is that common or maybe just a youth model?

I have a question for the posters. What is the length of pull on these? My brother gave me one he didn't really care for. The LOP is barely 13". Is that common or maybe just a youth model?
Thats common, they do have a shorter LOP than most. I think mine is about the same, thats one of the only real issues I have with those old rifles. Probably had to do with shipping / packaging requirements if I were a bettin man.

Longcruise, I took it out, drilled out the pilot holes large enough to accept 2 wood dowel joiner plugs(standard cheap furniture type) to replace the brass pins provided. I squared as best I could the two mating ends of the front and rear stock and glued the devil out of it. Once I did this, all the pin holes in the front stock no longer lined up with the holes in the barrel.
Also the slots and holes in the barrel channel for the barrel lugs had to be relocated re cut and re drilled. The ramrod pipes were not spaced to my liking so I plugged them and re drilled for the new pipe locations. I used a whole different nose piece as I don't like the looks of the CVA piece.
All in all it was a lot of extra work but I like the way it turned out. This was a rebuild of a badly put together kit rifle so I was expecting to take some over the norm ideas to get the look I was after.

Last edited:
Back