• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This was found treading water during our flood.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know , years ago an old timer told me if you ever find an old gun remove the buttplate he claimed that folks would store like . writings , money , something written you know what i mean , never found anything myself but i have always looked .

many holes said:
You know , years ago an old timer told me if you ever find an old gun remove the buttplate he claimed that folks would store like . writings , money , something written you know what i mean , never found anything myself but i have always looked .

My friend's dad once bought a M1911A1 pistol and found a gold coin in each of the grips. Apparently American pilots used to stash gold coins in them.

Swampy, I'm glad you got the gun. There's nothing in this world better than a good friend. Coming in at a close third would be a good project, and it looks like you've got that as well.

Purely out of curiosity: I was looking at the lock and wondering, How to go about cleaning this? How far would you disassemble it without fear of Murphy's law? Something like the mainspring snapping apart when you try to re-assemble it, stripping a screw or some other quirky unforeseen disaster.

Tools: a toothbrush - with copper, brass or some other metal brushes? Then nylon brushes?
Solvent(s)something to soak some parts in, something to scrub with?

Like I said, curiosity just bit me the more I looked at that lock - I wanted it to be in the next room where I could "have at it"!

Good luck and have fun - Marc

To be honest, I have not been able to do much with the gun. I did find the original nipple turns and is not rusted to it, I only went one turn and left it a lone until I have time for it. The lock was gunky, like old cosmoline inside, all I did so far was use WD-40, an old tooth brush and a can of air I had to clean up the inside pretty good. Then oiled it with an old shaving brush I use. The lock works great so I don't want to mess with any screws, no need to take it apart. Depending on what the channel under the nipple looks like, it appears it only needs a new nipple and should be shootable, for shot anyway. I see soon. :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
Sweeeet, told my friend I thought it was restorable enough for me to use for a turkey gun and he gave it to me. :thumbsup:
Nice,who's the lucky SOB now? :grin:

Well, it just maybe destined to be a wall hanger. I keep trying but I just can't get my cheek down onto it far enough to look straight down the barrel. Made for a smaller person for sure. :idunno:

Back