• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This Old Wall Hangar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I need your help. New to this muzzle loading sport and have had this wall hangar that has been passed down thru the family for years. I've had it for +30 years. The story that came with it is. "It was a Hudson Bay Trading rifle that was used to exchange pelts for the rifle, hence the long barrel." Because of the patina of the rifle I assumed it was brass, but now that I've been bitten by the BP bug it piqued by interest in this " wall hangar". I put a magnet on it and its not brass. The bore is .550 at the muzzle, smooth bore. Muzzle thickness is .130 and has a definite crown or recess ( shown in photo). The lock is broken, by my son I think, many years ago. Overall length is 67.5". There is an Eagle clutching arrows(?) on the lock plate. Barrel bands have numbering on them. Brass serpent on opposite site of lock.

Attachments

• IMG_5481.JPG
    IMG_5481.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5482.JPG
    IMG_5482.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5483.JPG
    IMG_5483.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5484.JPG
    IMG_5484.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5488.MOV
    4.2 MB
  • IMG_5489.JPG
    IMG_5489.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5490.JPG
    IMG_5490.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5491.JPG
    IMG_5491.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5492.JPG
    IMG_5492.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5493.JPG
    IMG_5493.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Interesting lock for sure.

The stock looks like beech. Definitely military barrel bands. Vent hole seems high. Screw heads look almost new, so I don't think she's too old.

I'm not getting Trade Gun vibes. Though the side plate is Indian Trade Gun style.

Has your family fired it before?

Last edited:
here are a couple more photos. yes that is me on Mr. Ed about 8 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_5481.MOV
    13.3 MB
  • IMG_5508.JPG
    IMG_5508.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Interesting lock for sure.

The stock looks like beech. Definitely military barrel bands. Vent hole seems high. Screw heads look almost new, so I don't think she's too old.

I'm not getting Trade Gun vibes. Though the side plate is Indian Trade Gun style.

Has your family fired it before?
no not to my knowledge

It looks like a back action percussion lock that's been converted to flintlock cock. Then someone fashioned a flintlock lock mechanism and placed it in front to make it all go boom.

Never seen anything like that before.

Last edited:
It looks like a combination of hunting and military parts. The origin escapes me. It does look to be in shootable condition.

It's likely a "Frankenstein" project that somebody did a long time ago. The lock looks like it came from a Model 1835 or 1840 Springfield. NOT the original barrel if it is that lock. By the time the 1842 and 1861 Springfield muskets came out, these would have been obsolete. Some were converted to caplocks.

As others have said, it looks to be in shootable condition. That said, I never recommend for someone to fire a century plus old black powder firearm. Short of Magnafluxing the barrel, there is no way to find some cracks in iron and the rust has had a century to work on the metal. I think that gun is more of a conversation piece than an actual shootin' iron these days.

Right now it has value, once you blow it up, it is just a pile of scrap iron and kindling wood.

I'm with hansi and Dale on this one, it's a mix of random parts someone assembled, it's not an original of anything but itself
30+ years of handing down in the family is interesting though, it's a keeper, too bad ya can't find out "who" made it.

They were made in Belgium for the African market-hunter trade. During the late 60's up to the mid 70's some made their way to the USA for the Bicentennial. They're a combination of old musket parts and new, cheaply-made components. There was an antique store in the town were I went to high school that had a couple of them. If my memory serves, they were priced at $69.00. I think DGW had them in their catalog about that same time.

Back