• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

This old fart has a new Early Lancaster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey gang, over the past several months I have asked for pointers and received plenty of them. So I say thanks! Here is my one of my finished projects: A Early Lancaster, Rice 50 cal swamped barrel, Siler Deluxe large flintlock long rifle. Wood blank was purchased from Pecatonica River Supply, Barrel was purchased direct from Rice. Siler lock, butt plate, trigger, trigger guard, screws, vent liner, and RR tip were purchased from vendors. All other parts were made by this old fart. I routed the barrel channel at the smallest dimension and then removed the rest with a chisel. All the brass parts not listed in the purchased items were made from sheet brass. The steel has plumb brown treatment, the wood colored/stained with aqua fortis. Sunderland Wells tung oil is the finish coat.

I really lucked out on my first target. Fixed sights, and did not bump or file. Never did that in my life!! Only took it out one time so far. I shot at 50 yards and was in the ball park, but nothing to brag about. I needed a different target. My eyes like verticals and horizontal lines for better sight alignment. I made a crude vert/horiz and shot the one below at 25 yrds, benched.
I am not a machinist, just a retired carpenter. Mostly tired
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸
View attachment 44318View attachment 44319View attachment 44320View attachment 44321View attachment 44322View attachment 44323
I am not really a long rifle guy … but … I could enjoy that one ,,, over my fireplace. That is gorgeous and great work... Polecat

Outstanding! That is a work of art. You are very good with your hands. I like the stain on this rifle. Wonderful grain and the small things like the scribed line on the lower part of the butt stock. Everything just flows from the butt stock to the nose cap. Very well done. Something you can and should be very proud of.
Looks like it will be a great shooter. You did well!
Makes me want to dust off the work bench and get back on my full stock Hawken I started a few years back.
Great rifle.
Mike

Hey gang, over the past several months I have asked for pointers and received plenty of them. So I say thanks! Here is my one of my finished projects: A Early Lancaster, Rice 50 cal swamped barrel, Siler Deluxe large flintlock long rifle. Wood blank was purchased from Pecatonica River Supply, Barrel was purchased direct from Rice. Siler lock, butt plate, trigger, trigger guard, screws, vent liner, and RR tip were purchased from vendors. All other parts were made by this old fart. I routed the barrel channel at the smallest dimension and then removed the rest with a chisel. All the brass parts not listed in the purchased items were made from sheet brass. The steel has plumb brown treatment, the wood colored/stained with aqua fortis. Sunderland Wells tung oil is the finish coat.

I really lucked out on my first target. Fixed sights, and did not bump or file. Never did that in my life!! Only took it out one time so far. I shot at 50 yards and was in the ball park, but nothing to brag about. I needed a different target. My eyes like verticals and horizontal lines for better sight alignment. I made a crude vert/horiz and shot the one below at 25 yrds, benched.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸
View attachment 44318View attachment 44319View attachment 44320View attachment 44321View attachment 44322View attachment 44323
aAONE HOLER IS ALWAYS A GOOD THING!

A ONE HOLLER IS ALLWAYS A GOOD THING! sorry it is early. and my old fingers don't work so good!

If you don't build more like that, we will all be the poorer. Both beautiful and deadly accurate "out of the box"...It doesn't get much better, just fancier.
For what it's worth,I prefer a well made, clean & basic tool.

Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

Simply beautiful. Wonderful when everything comes together like this gorgeous rifle.

Need the range report load and distance cal.
gr8 looking/shooting rifle👍
Went to the range yesterday and paced the new Early Lancaster for the second time since completion of build. No sight adjustments, shot as it came from the work bench. All shooting was off a solid bench, with open rifle sights made by the old fart. Point of aim for both targets: trying for dead on hold
Left target: 50 meter, 60 grains of Goex 3F, .018 precut cotton patch, .495 Hornady swedged RB, lube: water soluble oil, lysol concentrate, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, water. No swabbing between shots. Prime: 4F Goex
Right target: 100 meters, same info as left except bumped 3F to 80 grains.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

IMG_2929.jpeg

Back