• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

This is insane...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last edited:
What in the Sam hill? Some of you guys with the larger collections are going to be rich. If I was you, I would auction off half my herd and then re-buy them back for a quarter of what you sold them for in 6 months, plus whatever else you've dreamed of. This is pure bubble behaviour. My next door neighbors sold their house at the top of the market right before the housing bust. I thought they were crazy. I mean how are you ever going to be able to purchase a house if you back out while the prices are going higher and higher. They said they'd rather have the money. Boy did they make the right move. You guys have an opportunity. Opperknockity never tunes twice.

I can't believe what black powder/muzzle loading guns are selling for on Gunbroker. Original or Replica. The pricing at the auctions is also heading upward.

Rick

Paying $2175 for that pistol is just an example of total ignorance on the part of the buyer. Whoever it was must have thought the pistol was an original Paterson in premium condition.
I can't totally fault the seller in this sale either. He most clearly shows the pistol laying on top of the Uberti box it came in, in one of the photos.

When I say "can't totally fault", that doesn't mean I consider the deal as something an honest man would do. If he was an honest person he would have told the buyer the gun is a modern Italian replica and not worth that much money. If he did that and the "winner" of the bid still wanted to pay that amount then the seller should thank them and take the total amount.

This brings up something that I am curious about. Is Uberti the only manufacturer that ever made a Paterson replica?

The Paterson reproductions are selling for crazy money, this is the third I’ve seen a GB which ended in excess of $2k. Why this is happening I don’t know but it appears to be specific to the Italian made Paterson repros. For some reason those guns are selling on the secondary market for way more than they’re worth.

Its all guns. I collect various from 1700 flints to WW2. No huge collection just nice examples of things I have wanted over my life. Gun auctions now are insane - bidders paying 10 to 20x what high estimates are. But - thats actually nothing - look at Baseball cards (i don't collect them but a friend does) - so expensive now companies have formed to sell them like stock - you buy a piece - you never own it - just by into it hoping it appreciates. Then there are these INSANE NFT things - look up NFT if you don't know what that is. Everything is in a bubble right now - housing, stocks, all assets, but the dollar.
My advice - never pay more than a few hundred on a repro anything - especially an Italian made BP gun - good lord the world has gone nuts. I'm off to mortgage my house for Dogecoin now - later!

Latest posts

Back