• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This has probably been asked before

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad your gun went boom with no apparent damage.
Might want to get one of the cheaper borescopes talked about on this forum and check out the inside of the barrel, especially in the area of where the ball and powder met. This would have been your most concentrated area of fouling.
Ok new question for then what would happen if my barrel is rusty there? Does that mean the rifle is no good anymore? Will it mess with accuracy? Will I not be able to hunt with it again ... I have never had the worry about it before never had the problem before

I guess that was my concern I reloaded my gun immediately after shooting a deer last week and it stay loaded so it was not a clean barrel when reloaded.
Black powder, 777, & Pyrodex will ALL cause corrosion once the rifle is fired if you don't clean it. If I load a dirty barrel in the field for some reason, I fire it off before leaving for home so I can clean it before reloading.

Agree, shoot it and clean it.
Early in Goex production some of their powder had sulfur in a form that would corrode a hole through a loaded gun. Dunno how long it took but it was a surprise when that loaded gun was taken out maybe a year later. Ask Mad Monk, Reading, PA if he's still around.

Going back a few years we fired off a gun that had last been loaded in 1897 - the year of Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee. It said it right there on the newspaper wadding we found - June 22nd 1897. It went as KA-Boomish as though it had been loaded that same day.

That gun can stay loaded for long long time. Two things to remember. Do not bring a chilled weapon in a warm dwelling after being in the cold air and try to keep it from erratic temperature changes. The steel must not condense moisture. Keep nipple covered or flash hole plugged when not hunting. If in doubt, discharge weapon and reload, especially in humid conditions such as a rainy autumn day.
I have pulled charges from springfields used in the war between the states that were charged and the powder would flash. Whether the charges were from the 1800's, doubtful, but still a long time.

Not sure. Haven't had it happen.
I would doubt that in the amount of time it sat loaded that corrosion would be so bad as to permanently ruin the barrel.
Probably take some work to clean up, then have to stay on top of it. But, might not be too horrible. Won't know until you check.

Not sure. Haven't had it happen.
I would doubt that in the amount of time it sat loaded that corrosion would be so bad as to permanently ruin the barrel.
Probably take some work to clean up, then have to stay on top of it. But, might not be too horrible. Won't know until you check.
I want want thank you sir for all your replies... believe it or not after cleaning there was more little surface rust spots on the outside of the barrel on the drum around the nipple and on the side of the barrel where the drum meets it then there was inside the barrel cleaned up very good very quickly with hot soapy water then bore butter to coat the inside which I normally do which is always seem to help

I want want thank you sir for all your replies... believe it or not after cleaning there was more little surface rust spots on the outside of the barrel on the drum around the nipple and on the side of the barrel where the drum meets it then there was inside the barrel cleaned up very good very quickly with hot soapy water then bore butter to coat the inside which I normally do which is always seem to help
You're welcome.
Be warned,,,,, the bore butter may start a whole new heated debate, Lol.

I will keep my flintlock loaded(unprimed) for most of the month of December, until I shoot……hopefully bagging my deer. Same during the turkey season. Never had an issue with condensation/misfires….I will keep the flash hole plugged with a feather quill when not in use. If the rifle is subjected to heavy rain or snow I will clean/recharge.

Latest posts

Back