This day in History

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Enfield1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
On 29 November, 1775, the British Ship "Nancy" was boarded and seized by patriots in Boston Harbor. In the hold of the ship were 2000 brown bess muskets, along with cartridge boxes and bayonets to go with them. There were more than 100,000 musket flints, 31 tons of musket shot, balls for both 6 and 12 pound artillery, 3000 case shot, 150 camp kettles, dozens of lanterns and frying pans, 11 gun carriages, 7 ammunition wagons and watch coats and harnesses for both men and horses. Most impressive was one 13 inch brass mortar. From what I have read, this was the largest seizure of enemy ordinance in the entire 8 years of the war for independence. Unfortunately, many of these muskets were probably the ones thrown away by young, frightened patriot volunteers fleeing in the face of the British attacks during the campaign for New York in the following year.

JRL1164

36 Cal.
Reaction score
On 29 November, 1775, the British Ship "Nancy" was boarded and seized by patriots in Boston Harbor. In the hold of the ship were 2000 brown bess muskets, along with cartridge boxes and bayonets to go with them. There were more than 100,000 musket flints, 31 tons of musket shot, balls for both 6 and 12 pound artillery, 3000 case shot, 150 camp kettles, dozens of lanterns and frying pans, 11 gun carriages, 7 ammunition wagons and watch coats and harnesses for both men and horses. Most impressive was one 13 inch brass mortar. From what I have read, this was the largest seizure of enemy ordinance in the entire 8 years of the war for independence. Unfortunately, many of these muskets were probably the ones thrown away by young, frightened patriot volunteers fleeing in the face of the British attacks during the campaign for New York in the following year.
Love reading these kinds of things. What specifically caught my eye was the 31 tons of musket shot. Trying to fathom the lot is amazing to me. I often wonder if in situations like this if they were loaded by men in a daisy chain pattern or by other means. Also the weight carrying capacity of these old wooden sailing ships has always intrigued me. Thanks for sharing this!