• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinning Tried & True Oil Varnish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kibler recommends on one of the videos to thin T&T Oil Varnish with turpentine. I purchased turpentine from hardware store and the smell is terrible and can't be used in my basement workshop. Does Pure Gum Terpentine smell better? I have read where using no/low odor Turpenpoid as a thinner will not allow the oil to dry. I have also read where some artists are switching from any form of turpentine to Gamsol Mineral Spirits as a thinner without any negative results. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

If Kibler recommends it, and your can't deal with the smell, I would go with the horse's mouth & respectfully suggest applying it outdoors.

I am a sailor who uses oil lamps in my sailboat. Mineral spirits works well in those lamps without smell. Try a very small amount of oil and MS with a scrap piece of wood. I think it will be fine. I use my True Oil as it comes, however. Dale

As it comes out of the can, it can take a long time to cure, particularly in humid conditions, even when applied very thinly.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I found that Pure Gum Spirits of Turpentine (Sunnyside $20.00 per quart) doesn't smell as strong as the cheap stuff. In addition, distilled turpentine smell even less, although it costs $6.00 for 2.5 oz. Next I tried Gamsol Mineral Spirits ($13.00 for 16 oz)and it has zero smell. I have applied samples mixed 50:50 (T&T Oil Varnish with each thinner) to some curly maple to test for drying etc. Again, thanks for all the suggestions!

If i use turpentine i make sure its poured into a bottle with tight cap then mixed, never in an open container or use it outside.

I only used tried and true varnish once, the results really didnt seem any much better or different than tru-oil thinned with turpentine and it took much longer to dry.

Permalyn sealer provides a very nice thin layer that dries in a few hours.

I used to use tung oils by Formby’s but its been bought by Minwax.

In my opinion I found that applying varnish and oils with a magic eraser produces a fine finish that’s not too smooth and not too rough.

Last edited:
I just finished a NWTG with the Tried and True mixed pretty close to half and half with gum turpentine in my shop for about 8 hours, it has a unique smell to say the least but it does not linger as long as you would think. The gun has a slight odor to it now but with each day drying and curing it is fading and isn't so strong that I have to leave my home. I started this on Monday 10-24-22 the gun is in my home now with a slight aroma that is fading, in my shop you have to search out rags and paper towels to find the odors.

Here she be.
20221024_160732.jpg

I am a sailor who uses oil lamps in my sailboat. Mineral spirits works well in those lamps without smell. Try a very small amount of oil and MS with a scrap piece of wood. I think it will be fine. I use my True Oil as it comes, however. Dale

Same here, I always find myself using tru-oil or linspeed. Its just a lot easier and the difference in finish between that other types is minimal.

If I’m going to use a varnish, i go for Mohawk varnishes.

Back