• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thinking of having barrel re bored

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfisher

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is the deal, I have a very nice custom built hawken rifle that was made by a dear friend who has passed away. The rifle has a 54 cal Douglas xx barrel, it is an inch and an eighth across the flats and has a 1 in 48 twist. It is a monster weighing in at 13 plus pounds. because of the 48 twist the optimum charge for this rifle is a mere 70 grains of 2ff. I would like to be able to accurately shoot much heavier loads such as 100 to 120 grains, which I am quite confident the rifle will handle. Therefor I was considering having it re-bored to a 58 cal with a 1 in 66 or 1 in 70 twist. Thought this would even lighten the barrel a bit too. What would be the downsides to doing this and who would you recommend for the job. Also what is a ballpark figure of what something like this would cost? I would appreciate your opinions. Thank You.

I think it is a good idea and I would sent it to Bob Hoyt. If you go to a 1:72 you will be stuck with some heavy loads. I have a .58 cal with a 10;66 twist and it won the long gong match the last time I shot one at 276 yards off hand. I shoot 120 grs of ffg for a long range load and a 60grn load for anything under 75 or 80 yds, The price would probably be around $200.00 plus shipping. You might also try the gun works in Oregon, Joe does a great job and might be cheaper.

that large a barrel can go to 62 or 72 cal. easily I have heard reports tardactails are back

Last barrel Bob Hoyt rebored for me (believe in early 2016) cost $125. Shipping to him was about $15. It was a one inch barrel bored to 58 caliber with a round bottom 1-60 twist (that he recommended). Getting ready to send him another similar barrel. Will request same caliber and rifling.

My .62 weighs in at 7-1/2# and recoil is modest with 100gr fffg. That is the same charge that I use in my .58 that weighs 7-1/4#. Granted, both benefit from little drop in the stock and 2"+ wide buttplates. Reboring from .54 to .58 or .62 isn't going to give up more than 1#, so it'll still be heavy.

Ok, it sounds like Mr. Hoyt is the fella I need to talk to. I will definitely follow the advice on the twist, I didnt realize the 72 twist would limit me to heavy loads. You guys are a lot of help Thanks. By the way does anyone have contact info for Mr. Hoyt?

Below should be his current info. He recently move, but is in the same town and phone number didn't change. Confirm his address. You need to contact him by phone, and don't get frustrated if he doesn't immediately pick up. He is a busy man.

Bob Hoyt
2379 Mt Hope Rd
Fairfield, Pennsylvania, 17320
717-642-6696

You are bringing tears, to my eyes....cutting the Holy Grail of barrels. I have a rifle with Douglas barrel and it is one of my most prized possessions.

You will be setting it up to shoot a faster round ball and larger round ball, butt.......

If it were mine, I would go with a different projectile. Either a large conical or paper patched bullet. With a 100 or so grains, the rifle will be a power house. You will still have to deal with the weight. Honestly, I don't know if the deep rifling on a Douglas barrel, will lend it's self to such a combination.

I'm just throwing out something to try, before you make the final decision.

My thoughts too. Another thought if it were my rifle and made by a dear friend, I would keep it as he made it to honor him. I'm sure a combination of powder & ball could be found to have it shooting straight. I have found a 1:48 twist will have 2 sweet spots (light & heavy), ya just have to find em.

Thanks for your input, I just want to get more out of the gun, as much as I love it now, it has limitations. :v

Latest posts

Back