• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of getting a smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about my next muzzle loader purchase and if it's a long gun then it will be a smoothbore. I already have an early Virginia transitional rifle from TVM which I like very much and have checked out their Fowler which seems to look like what I want. I like that design better than the Tulle or Fusil de Chase, plus it's offered in left hand with either a 36 or 42 inch barrel.
Which would be appropriate for a 1785 persona, steel or brass furniture?
Premium maple stock or walnut?
Since they only offer barrels in 20 gauge and I'm a fan of the 12, are there other builders that are of the same quality and price range that you recommend?

You can get pretty much any barrel or profile you want from Charles Burton at FCI barrels. The wait is pretty long; 6-8 months. Ed Rayl too. His is about a year. Rice makes a bunch of different stuff and is pretty available most of the time.

There are other custom makers out there that can and will make barrels for you up to about 8' long if you want to make yourself a wall gun.

I own one of TVM's wonderful .62 smoothbores and can vouch for them. If you order from TVM you can specify a 12ga barrel (mine is 38", by the way) and can specify a straight or tapered barrel. You can also choose whatever lock you prefer same as I did. Never had any experience with smoothies from other builders but you can probably get what you want from most of them.

hanshi said:
I own one of TVM's wonderful .62 smoothbores and can vouch for them. If you order from TVM you can specify a 12ga barrel (mine is 38", by the way) and can specify a straight or tapered barrel. You can also choose whatever lock you prefer same as I did. Never had any experience with smoothies from other builders but you can probably get what you want from most of them.
I would want a 42" barrel as I'm an over 6 footer but what would a tapered barrel offer over a straight one? Better balance, handling or just looks?

A tapered barrel makes for better balance and an overall lighter gun that swings better for moving shots. Plus original guns were tapered. Another one to consider is North Star West. I have a left hand Chief's Grade trade gun from them in 20 gauge and I love it. http://northstarwest.com/Default.aspx The owner is a member of the forum. I ordered mine in late October and picked it up in mid April which isn't a bad wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to try to get someplace where you can handle a few smoothies (that sounds wrong somehow) and see and feel the differences. I wasn't sure I'd like the Tule Fusil de Chase I have when I bought it. But once it arrived and I handled it and carried it in the woods, love it. The 20 gauge is really great in a muzzle loader. Very versatile. Remember, unlike center fire shotguns where one gauge may have advantages over others for certain applications based on available ammo, you can custom tailor each shot to fit your need with a front stuffer smoothie.
20 will use less powder and lead too.

I think that I would like a tapered barrel then and am fine with the 20 gauge after all. While the Northwest Trade gun is nice, it's more than I wanted to spend. I'll give another look at what TVM has to offer in not just their fowler as well.

20 will use less powder and lead too.

Serious consideration there. I have a 20 ga. fowler and a 11/12 ga. Brown Bess. I hadn't made any balls for the Bess in a long time. Cast some yesterday and was shocked at how fast the lead in the pot got used up. :shocked2: At todays prices for lead that is a big factor. Plus the recoil is reduced with a smaller ball. I know a feller who kilt a buff ded with one shot from his 20 smoothie. Lots of deer and elk have been taken with them also, so killing power is not much of a factor in making the choice.

I would contact:

Tip Curtis Frontier Shop
4445 Jernigan Rd.
Cross Plains,Tn.37049
615-654-4445
Tip Curtis email [email protected]

There is a more than likely chance he will have what you are looking for in stock.

Yes, LarryP got it nailed down. A tapered barrel is almost a necessity if you plan to wing shoot; and they still serve well for ball. For deer, turkey or pass shooting the straight barrel moves a bit slower and possibly makes those shots a little easier. I got a straight barrel since I shoot more ball than shot; and turkey and squirrel along with deer are all I use mine for.

bull3540 said:
I'm thinking about my next muzzle loader purchase and if it's a long gun then it will be a smoothbore. I already have an early Virginia transitional rifle from TVM which I like very much and have checked out their Fowler which seems to look like what I want. I like that design better than the Tulle or Fusil de Chase, plus it's offered in left hand with either a 36 or 42 inch barrel.
Which would be appropriate for a 1785 persona, steel or brass furniture?
Premium maple stock or walnut?
Since they only offer barrels in 20 gauge and I'm a fan of the 12, are there other builders that are of the same quality and price range that you recommend?
To answear your qustions Although iron furniture was used most american made guns in this time were brass mounted,most american made guns had longer barrels until later into the early 19th century,most civilian made and used guns were lower caliber toward the .60s range.Plane wood was seen on even very well made guns, and several of the commitie of safty muskets were bulit on premium wood, so this is a matter of taste. You can go with a short bairon mounted large bore fusil on the best wood, but you will reflect the avarage closser to do the oppisite.Walnut,cherry ect were more common on southren guns then guns made in the north. Very fine guns were built on walnut both here ad overseas, and lower price guns were built on maple, however the avarage was better guns on maple

Thanks, that makes my choices easier and brass furniture it will be. Now I'm thinking it will be a 42 inch tapered barrel with brass furniture and standard maple. But I like walnut too and don't currently have a muzzle loader with walnut stock.

Latest posts

Back