• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of buying a pedersoli shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The older Pedersoli guns had browned barrels and case hardened sidelock. Very handy and light. The newer versions, especially with choke tubes are closer to 8lbs. You did well. I patterned my Brown barrel this weekend with mandrel wrapped paper cartridges and the patterning was excellent. Just keep the powder to 70gr max and shot load 1 1/8 - 1 1/4oz. If you don’t do the paper cartridges, the skychief is unarguably the tightest pattern achievable In chokeless guns.

Years ago I got a really nice Pedersoli 12 ga dbl. I loved it and it was fun to shoot. It looked nice, too. A friend wanted it and I sold it to him but then got a flintlock 20 ga.
PICT0358.jpg

I have a factory built one in 12 gauge. After playing around with different wads and wad columns I settled on the following load: Two over powder wads (11gauge) Circle Fly on top of 80 grains of Goex 2F, using same 80gr powder measure setting I scoop up some shot 7.5/8 for my informal clay busting. Topped by splitting same over powder card in half for over shot use.

I found that 80 grains worked a lot better than 70/75 by the pattern board and smoking the clays. I saw in another thread the Skychief loading, I never set up a wad column like that, will have to try it. My gun is Cyl/Mod, as long as I get on the clay fast I can smoke them.

I dont know about their shotguns, but their rifles suck buttermilk.
It takes a lot for me to hate something, this brand I hate.
Two years of problems, and no replacement parts. We had to make parts for a rifle we fired 8 times.

My older Pedersoli double 12 gauge weighs in under 6 lbs. For any shotgunning activity, I love it. If I found a 20 double under 6 lbs, I’d jump on it, but doubt the muzzleloading fairies will drop one off at my house. Would have to check, but believe mine was proofed in 1978.

I dont know about their shotguns, but their rifles suck buttermilk.
It takes a lot for me to hate something, this brand I hate.
Two years of problems, and no replacement parts. We had to make parts for a rifle we fired 8 times.
Try VTI. I got a set of Pedersoli bridles from them when the pot metal ones on a Pietta I have broke. They fit right in. You won't go wrong with a Pedersoli shotgun. I own a 10 and a 12 gauge.They are built tough. I got a mould from them from Italy to fit my Gibbs. Service was first rate and fast turnaround--even during this pandemic. Not trying to start a flame, just speaking the truth from first hand experience.

Older model, looks like it was a closet queen. Few spots of rust on the barrels that I took care of.
My old Pedersoli circa 1972 has browned barrels and also weighs just shy of 6lbs. Choked IC/IM. The IM barrel is devastating on paper at 25yds, easily good to 40yds with 70gr FF, a single 1/4” felt lubed in olive oil and beeswax, 1 1/8oz shot, and OS card. The IC is just OK at 25yds and might make a better skychief option. Need to test that out. Fiber wads are not an option with the chokes. A doubled felt will have to do as OS.

I sure am having fun with my Pedersoli 12ga. Looking to kill some clay in a couple weeks. This weekend is anniversary weekend in Flagstaff, so I won’t be at the range. By fall though, I’ll have a 4X4 and will be able to get to some sweet dove holes. Shooting your limit inside of a box has little meaning when there is no box of shells.

Latest posts

Back