• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of buying a pedersoli shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withakri

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm a new member out of Maryland thinking about purchasing a classic pedersoli shotgun. The plan would be to use the gun primarily for woodcock and grouse, ducks and turkeys. I still have a lot to learn about muzzleloader shotguns but I enjoy shooting traditional bows and I see a lot of similarities. Seems to me that the fun would be figuring out the right "recipe" for each species/application and it doesnt look that difficult to load in the field etc if you are organized. A few weeks back I was thinking of just purchasing a nice 20 or 28ga modern pump shotgun but i) you can't get anything new right now and b) the used market is crazy and even more expensive once you factor in shipping and FFL costs. My options are also a bit limited with these pedersoli shotguns but I know of at least one 12ga kit in stock and it sounds like I could order a completed gun and maybe get it in <90 days. My gut feeling is to try to find a 20 but one thing I noticed is that the pedersoli 12 is actually lighter than the 20 (must just bore out a larger hole in the same barrel?) so no decrease in weight here with the smaller gauge. I'm also a bit hung up on whether to purchase a kit or a completed gun. Anyone have experience with the kits? If I wanted to get one in the next week or so I could get that 12ga kit. If I want a 20ga kit I think I'm going to be waiting a while as pedersoli is focused on completed guns while they play catchup. I guess I can order whatever I want through the distributor in the US (IFG) and maybe get a gun quicker than through a dealer but you pay msrp with those folks and its a bit expensive as their shipping rates are also fairly high. Looking forward to learning from the forum!

If you get a 12 gauge you can load it with a 20 gauge load or lighter.
This is true.
One of the things a muzzleloading shotgun has over the modern things is, you can load it for whatever your doing. You aren't stuck with using just the loads the big commercial companies put into their products.

I bought a Pedersoli Kit 20 gauge...many years ago. Great gun, wonderful to take out into the field. Light Fast handling and versatile. I also have a 10 gauge that is just as fun to take out hunting.

The thing about muzzleloading shotguns...each shot is a custom load. You can develop loads for Geese, Pheasants...Doves...For most endeavors; Gauge is not a concern really.

I say buy what you want.

That is my thinking right now with seeing far more 12's for sale than 20's, now to find one under 7 pounds.
Good luck with that. The Pedersoli doubles got obese in the eighties for some reason!
Mine is just over 6lbs and is not as wide at the breaches as the later models.

OK. Thanks for all the information. Still not sure what I'm going to get but I did find a new 20ga online (prices have gone up and that gun is now $1250 + tax), a kit 12ga ($925.00) or there are a few used 12ga from folks on this forum closer to the price of the kit from pedersoli. I kind of want the 20ga but it feels like a lot of money when I think about the three kids I have to feed everyday:).

I bought a Pedersoli 12 ga SxS kit a couple years ago. The kit goes together very easily, with only minor filing, sanding, and staining required. Note that the stock in kit form is uncheckered vs the completed shotgun stock is checkered, if that's important to you. It is a surprisingly light gun, easy to handle. I've taken some pheasants and squirrels in PA with it (80g 2F and 1oz of #6). Been trying for turkeys, but haven't gotten a shot yet. A lot of the fun is in patterning with various powder charges, shot sizes, wads etc. I recommend it.

I ordered a new 20ga... should be here next week. Now I just need to figure out what else I need to do some shooting and get ready for turkey season next month. As a rule I really don't like buying things that are brand new, but it should last the rest of my life and hopefully one of my three boys enjoys hunting as much as I do and it can be passed down the line.

Is there an online shop folks recommend for purchasing the necessary accessories for shooting, cleaning, etc? The first thing I would like to do is get the gun setup for turkey hunting which starts here in Maryland in a little over a month.

Is there an online shop folks recommend for purchasing the necessary accessories for shooting, cleaning, etc? The first thing I would like to do is get the gun setup for turkey hunting which starts here in Maryland in a little over a month.

Well I get my wads from Track of The Wolf. Wads
I get my shot from RotoMetals. Lead Shot

You will want to read about loading for good patterns by reading Skychief's Shot Load

The problem is going to be caps and powder. I hope you already have some of both, as finding them right now is likely a "no go".

LD

If you get a 12 gauge you can load it with a 20 gauge load or lighter.
I was lucky to get a couple of originals that I’ve hunted with and also a Pedersoli or 2. The 12 ga. or even the 10 can be loaded with a “square load" (equal volume powder and shot) using a 1 oz. shot measure. I used the 1 oz. in my original to bag a limit of doves a few years ago. The 12 ga. Pedersoli is a heavier gun now than earlier ones but still a nicely made gun. There is another brand Italian made gun that’s heavier in weight but used pot metal lock parts that’ll break and cost you to replace with Pedersoli parts. I know, had to do it and the Pedersoli bridles fit and are machined steel. Get a Pedersoli and don’t look back.

Ok great. I'll check out skychiefs write up and try to figure out what I need. Perhaps for turkeys I could try to figure out a load using some of the newer TSS shot but I'm sure lead shot will do just fine for now. I dont have any powder beyond the pyrodex pellets I use in my modern muzzeloader or caps. I do have a bunch of 209 primers... is it worth purchasing that conversion kit especially if I cant find any caps?

Back